GeoCaching

fasteddie

Does anyone look/search for GeoCaches in the off season . Our friends in Ft Meyers do it all over the states they drive through . I got a refresher course and we found a few . It's a fun thing to do . Someone hides a cache , puts up the grid coordinates , lists a name for the cache and a possible hint . When you find it , you sign your user name and post that you have found it . Some are easy . Some are very difficult . A fun thing to do in the off season . Beats the heck out of whining on a hunting site !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fasteddie said:

Does anyone look/search for GeoCaches in the off season . Our friends in Ft Meyers do it all over the states they drive through . I got a refresher course and we found a few . It's a fun thing to do . Someone hides a cache , puts up the grid coordinates , lists a name for the cache and a possible hint . When you find it , you sign your user name and post that you have found it . Some are easy . Some are very difficult . A fun thing to do in the off season . Beats the heck out of whining on a hunting site !

Yes. We havnt searched for  any in a few years. Actually this was the time of the year that we would often look as a family. Not nice enough to do summer things and not cold enough to do winter things.  We hid a couple that you need a boat to find or retrieve.. only a few people ever found them, being that the lake had very limited access.  Some are really difficult to find. Especially the mini caches. It is amazing the number hidden around the world in plain sight more or less.

• Like 1

I signed on a GeoCache site in 2008 , did a few and then none . You use to have to log the coordinates on a GPS and then look . Now , you can put an Ap on your phone and do your searching without messing with coordinates and your phone will show the distance and direction . It's something my wife and I can do while  going far a walk . The micro caches can be tricky to find .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fasteddie said:

I signed on a GeoCache site in 2008 , did a few and then none . You use to have to log the coordinates on a GPS and then look . Now , you can put an Ap on your phone and do your searching without messing with coordinates and your phone will show the distance and direction . It's something my wife and I can do while  going far a walk . The micro caches can be tricky to find .

It’s the puzzle ones that get me. When I open a cache and have to solve a mathematical riddle to find the next clue, I bow out. 

My kids loved them (Treasure hunts!) when they were younger. It is pretty wild to know that these things are placed all over and some hidden in plain site. Those were always interesting to try to access/find without people (mugglers I think they are called)seeing what you are doing.

I do keep a free app on my phone (below) and will check the area where we are traveling. I found one during a summer scout in the deer management properties I hunt. It was only about 50’ from a tree I climbed in previous seasons and I never knew it was there.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/geocaching/id329541503

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1