New turkey gun patterning results

UpStateRedNeck

Rapidly falling in love with the new shotgun, a Stoeger M3500 Predator/Turkey combo.

And I very much like the new choke tube:  

https://www.kicks-ind.com/products/mobilchoke-gobblin-thunder-12g-choke-tube

Just thought I'd pop some pictures in here.   All this batch is from the new choke, I'll put the pattern from the choke it came with in another post!  But I'm not super impressed with the Hevi mag blend.  I did just get in some TSS 7&9 3 1/2" that I'll try out soon.

PXL_20220316_162303478.jpg

PXL_20220316_162633492.jpg

PXL_20220316_163137796.jpg

PXL_20220316_165303181.jpg

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 4

On 3/16/2022 at 5:14 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Long beards look like a winner with that new choke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with ya on that!!!

Paul, those gobblers roaming the ridges out there, should start getting their affairs in order!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve been playing with tss for about 5yrs both with factory and reloads. In my opinion tss isn’t worth it until you get down into 9 shot. Unles NY’s changed the law 9 shot is not legal in New York.

Law seems lazy and/or people with no idea what the difference is (read: politicians).  TSS #9 should be, lead it should NOT be.  Hell if they're trying to discourage people from using lead, TSS #9 should be preferable. 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 2:52 PM, grampy said:

Lots of pellets on target at 50 yards!

After you tag out, can I take this girl out on a date???

She's a big girl and she'll pop you in the cheek, Dave!  But if you really want to try her out I'm sure it could be arranged!  I'm still waffling on whether or not to get the red dot scope for her.  I'm leaning towards yes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Alot of pellets on target at 50.  I tweaked the sight up a couple clicks after that.  I'd love to get my hands on another box of 3.5" #5 longbeard XRs.
PXL_20220415_171225643.thumb.jpg.652de784828fcd29b1098584cf7d15f3.jpg

Don’t forget with that deltapoint every click is a moa. At 50yds a couple clicks is only an inch. I would be going up about 14-16 clicks.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Alot of pellets on target at 50.  I tweaked the sight up a couple clicks after that.  I'd love to get my hands on another box of 3.5" #5 longbeard XRs.

PXL_20220415_171225643.jpg

I have a box or two that don't shoot worth a dam out of my gun...

For comparison, that's a really big pellet count difference.  Tweaked it down a smidge after that TSS round.

I found some 3.5" #5 XX and used those to tweak it up at 20 so if I hold halfway up the neck the head just disappears, then walked it out.  The XX pattern was useless past 30 though.  Toying with the idea of getting a box or 2 of the federal TSS 8,10 combo.

PXL_20220420_171048381.jpg

PXL_20220420_172349538.jpg

Just be easy posting about hunting with that tungsten, #8 is the smallest shot size legally allowed, until next year. #9 will be legal. Dont have to worry about me but others may get ornery about it. Id gladly pay a fine for being extremely ethical, and that the turds in control dont understand. That and those longbeards look good! both pattern well with my guns too! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Just be easy posting about hunting with that tungsten, #8 is the smallest shot size legally allowed, until next year. #9 will be legal. Dont have to worry about me but others may get ornery about it. Id gladly pay a fine for being extremely ethical, and that the turds in control dont understand. That and those longbeards look good! both pattern well with my guns too! 

Indeed.  For the record I'll be hunting with those longbeards if I do any public land.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 1:57 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve been playing with tss for about 5yrs both with factory and reloads. In my opinion tss isn’t worth it until you get down into 9 shot. Unles NY’s changed the law 9 shot is not legal in New York.

Its really not,  but like you said to make small bore guns stone cold killers with the use of smaller "not NY Legal" shot sizes.. and acheive the big bore patterns with lead. But one thing i notice especially with 8s, you will 99% of the time, never see them flap a wing after being hit. Bang, No Flop, Just Drop. Leaving it extremely ethical and efficient in many aspects. This also helps with those looking to get full body mounts done with their birds. Where Flapping for 5 minutes may ruin some feathers.  Also, Those 8s are not getting stuck in breast meat like most all lead shot will.. Unless the range is extended.. 

Just some positives ive learned from loading them over the years. 

Have not hunted Turkeys in quite some time, fired myself up by going old school this year, patterned my LC Smith Double sidelock SXS at 35 yds with some old federal Hi-Power 6s 1 3/8 oz. I think I will be alright if I can get one to come into range as the left side improved modified barrel gave pretty good coverage.

Al

2022-04-30_151038.png

2022-04-30_152631.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 7