Cooking my venison steaks now

Grouse

Once a week I enjoy a venison steak dinner now.  This is how I'm cooking them.  It's simple, fast and delicious.

Take those steaks from the freezer and allow them to thaw in a fridge prior to cooking. Remove the steaks from their packaging and allow any liquid to drain by setting meat in a colander placed in a bowl. Steaks should be at room temperature before grilling or frying. Any meat that is not at room temperature could have a cold center when cooked to medium-rare or even medium. A perfect steak should be warmed right through. Steaks cut about 1 inch thick are ideal, but this six-minute technique works well on smaller and larger cuts, too.

Olive oil is excellent for coating meat and holding spices and herbs. Garlic, pepper, rosemary, thyme, sage and other bold spices like smoked paprika are great in a marinade to bolster taste. And while I know some will balk, I recommend staying away from salt in your marinades as it can draw moisture from the steak when cooking. Salt can be added for individual taste when serving.

A barbecue grill or cast-iron frying pan is ideal for cooking steaks to perfection. Preheat the grill to a minimum 500 degrees Fahrenheit or as high as 600 degrees Fahrenheit if you can do so safely. If using cast-iron, heat on high until a droplet of water dances and evaporates.

With steaks at room temperature, seasoned and covered in olive oil, place them in the pan and cover, or on the grill and close the lid. Use a timer and turn the steak at precisely three minutes. Add a dollop of butter to the seared side of the steak and cover the pan or close the grill lid. Cook the second side of the steak for three minutes and remove from the pan or grill an place on a warmed plate. Place a dollop of unsalted butter on the second side of the steak and cover the plate with foil. Allow the steaks to rest for three minutes before serving. The steak will continue to cook during the resting period, and keeping it covered allows it to maintain moisture.

Pour a glass of red wine and prepare to enjoy the reward you have been hunting for.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...