Thoughts on grass/broadleaf/weed plots

There is a expression that "everything is relative". Not sure if this is true about morality, but it seems like it  is with deer plots. Over the years, I've watched a lot of old fields that  haven't had any liming/seeding or fertilizing done that still attract deer. Because everything around it is woods or brush  land. The only work that has been done is too mow it yearly. Depending on the  field, a first and sometimes a second cutting of hay is taken off the field. In the  cases I'm thinking about they are usually not manured. In some cases the  field is just brush hogged and left

But they still attract deer, both before and especially after they are cut. Is the hay nutritious? Certainly not compared to  good grass or clover hayfields, but apparently it is relatively better than the  forage they can get in the woods and brush. 

Not suggesting that this is optimal, but  a field that is yearly mowed will be a adequate deer plot even if you cannot till it. A little lime and fertilizer may be all you need. 

Your thoughts and observations?

• Like 1

A hay field usually has clover, alfalfa,  not to mention strawberries,  dandelion, and many other broadleaf forbes deer love.  Simply adding fertilizer will make what it there more nutritious and palatable.  Bonus the variety will draw all year.. and you can frost seed various clovers into it as well.

• Like 1

yes, I agree with all you said. Some of the fields I have been observing have had all of the  alfalfa and essentially all of the clover either run out or never had it in to begin with. A lot of these fields  originated from the original clearing although they may had grain crops or corn in them at some time in their history. luckily, in this  area, although the pH may be low, they have some native fertility in them.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, Farflung said:

yes, I agree with all you said. Some of the fields I have been observing have had all of the  alfalfa and essentially all of the clover either run out or never had it in to begin with. A lot of these fields  originated from the original clearing although they may had grain crops or corn in them at some time in their history. luckily, in this  area, although the pH may be low, they have some native fertility in them.

pH is probably the issue.  As Gman suggested, frost seeding clover would be an easy improvement.  

I talked to a millionaire who has tried all manner of food plots.  He has mostly gone to a mix of grasses and clover, because it is low maintenance.  All he does is mow them 3x a year.  

I have a 14 acre and 3 acre field on one property that I trade hay to the local farmer in return for mowing - particularly in September to encourage new growth prior to the season. He helps with a couple small food plots, too, and drills some seed in when necessary. Frankly, I think that the deer use the fields as much or more than the brassica plots.

• Like 1

I frost seeded last year in some trails and the clover really took well. I'm going to do a lot more this year. One edge I am going to till and plant but if it doesn't take I'm just going to clover it and cut it 3 x a year. They like they new growth anytime after it's cut and coming back in.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Deer eat grass only incidentally.  In the fields they are eating clover, goldenrod, and other broad-leaves, grass just gets in the way. They also eat the new shoots from the cut brush (dogwood, pokeweed, poison ivy, etc.)

If you mow the field you keep up the growth. BTW IF you want the best out of the field mow only 1/3 every year.  That way the amount of browse and cover is increased and with the Biden Fuel Surcharge,,,,it will be faster and cheaper.

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on grass...they don't eat it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have an 8-acre field behind the house, full of goldenrod and other misc. "weeds". I typically brush hog it once a year in the fall. There are deer feeding in the field every night, I also think people underestimate the amount of other uses wildlife get from the fields. Doe will consistently leave their fawns in the tall grass of the field while they go out and feed. I've almost stepped on them while walking in the field. There are also tons of birds that use the field in the spring for nesting and hatching. The bees love the goldenrod, there are rodents that the hawks (and the neighbor's cat) hunt and feed on.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't love a huge field of beans or clover, but wildlife need fields for other uses. it's just another part of the bigger picture. Deer have survived for thousands of years without food plots. I prefer to add some fruit or nut trees scattered throughout the woods or edges. They will be there for decades and are used by a ton of other animals.

• Like 1