Eating Grouse has killed people?

Now this is very interesting.

Are Ruffed Grouse Toxic? Maybe Sometimes

Ruffed grouse are widely considered one of the more delectable upland game birds. But did you know they might also be poisonous?

Odd as it seems, there is a fairly extensive—and largely forgotten—body of medical literature detailing unfortunate souls who have been poisoned by eating ruffed grouse.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/upland-birds/are-ruffed-grouse-toxic-maybe-sometimes?fbclid=IwAR2JwMZ-MfahwckbcZf3go6tBvBaG5DrSi3jaKYXBBaYcj3b8PWmuZKckN0

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Now this is very interesting.

Are Ruffed Grouse Toxic? Maybe Sometimes

Ruffed grouse are widely considered one of the more delectable upland game birds. But did you know they might also be poisonous?

Odd as it seems, there is a fairly extensive—and largely forgotten—body of medical literature detailing unfortunate souls who have been poisoned by eating ruffed grouse.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/upland-birds/are-ruffed-grouse-toxic-maybe-sometimes?fbclid=IwAR2JwMZ-MfahwckbcZf3go6tBvBaG5DrSi3jaKYXBBaYcj3b8PWmuZKckN0

That would be terrible! Grouse is my absolute favorite bird.

I probably killed 30-35 of them while walking back to the truck last year in ADK’s and I ate everyone of them. If a ruffed grouse is what gets me i guess I had a good run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I know why they are so rare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Some of them but most fall to the tx22 pistol I’ve started carrying just for the purpose. I keep it in my Fanny pack until I’m headed to the truck then put it on the belt.

Thats some good shootin!

32 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Some of them but most fall to the tx22 pistol I’ve started carrying just for the purpose. I keep it in my Fanny pack until I’m headed to the truck then put it on the belt.

Are these spruce grouse or are you the greatest shot in the history of civilization??

• 1 month later...

It's been years since I've hunted ruffled grouse. Last time I did I ate it. Even experimented by cooking it right along side store bought chicken breast in a pan on the stove. It was pretty easy to get close to but doesn't seem to be many around. Last time I saw one I let it go. Came to full draw on it while bowhunting for deer. He was fluffed up looking to fight the world walking back and forth under my stand at 15 yards. Let down and watched him for longer than I taught he'd stick around.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1