Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

So if I go out on a unproductive turkey hunt... what kind of broadhead am I using?  Fixed, mechanical, or does it not matter. 

I only used a bow for a bunch of years, probably killed 15 gobblers with a bow none of them went far. Small target so practice and keep ranges close and you shouldn’t have any issues. I used the Same setup as I use for deer Slicktrick fixed 4 blades. Only bird I ever lost was a hen I shot while deer hunting and I didn’t hit her well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I only used a bow for a bunch of years, probably killed 15 gobblers with a bow none of them went far. Small target so practice and keep ranges close and you shouldn’t have any issues. I used the Same setup as I use for deer Slicktrick fixed 4 blades. Only bird I ever lost was a hen I shot while deer hunting and I didn’t hit her well.

I have enough issue trying to kill one with a shotgun

However, I have a friend  who  hunts traditional archery ( recurve and longbow)  who fills his tags in Fla and Georgia every year...He does most of his hunting from a custom made portable blind and kills most of his birds at 10 yards or closer...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m going in with zero expectations… I’ll be set up in a little permanent ground blind and I’ll keep the range short.  I haven’t turkey hunted in years, so I’d be happy just to see one (or just to sneak in a few relaxing mornings in the woods)

F22B47F6-C94B-4F4E-88E5-36F39C8CF307.jpeg

• Like 2

To the fellow who inquired about using a 16 gauge for turkeys,

As long as you are aware of how your gun patterns and at what range it is effective and do not shoot past that distance, go for it. You will not be able to shoot at birds that hang up past your guns range that some hunters with magnum extra full choke shotguns can shoot and kill. All depends on whether you are ok with passing up some shots. Good luck with your turkey quest. To me the fun is in the calling and hunt, the pulling of the trigger is secondary. But that is just where this old man is at after hunting turkeys for over 40 years. 

• Like 1

As long as you are aware of how your gun patterns and at what range it is effective and do not shoot past that distance, go for it. You will not be able to shoot at birds that hang up past your guns range that some hunters with magnum extra full choke shotguns can shoot and kill. All depends on whether you are ok with passing up some shots. Good luck with your turkey quest. To me the fun is in the calling and hunt, the pulling of the trigger is secondary. But that is just where this old man is at after hunting turkeys for over 40 years. 

32 minutes ago, OldBrian said:

I plan on patterning that gun over the next few weeks, and establishing it’s effective range.  Depending on how it goes, my first shot at a bird will be with a high brass, lead, #7-1/2 or 6, and the other (4) in the tube will be #4’s, hopefully to be used as “finishers” from in close if needed. Or follow up shots if the first don’t connect.   It sounds like my range for the first shot might be 30 yards or so.  

My current plan, is to set my hen decoy in the clover plot, about 20 yards from my tree blind before sunrise, and not call at all.  If no birds come out , after a half hour or so of sunlight, then I may try a few soft yelps, then shut up for another half hour.

I prefer the “pure ambush”, so they have no clue where or when my shot is coming.  That’s the way I killed a hen a few falls ago.  

I had a similar plan last spring, but the turkeys stopped feeding in that clover plot about a week before the season opened then, and I never saw or heard one in 3 or for hunts over there.

Maybe that was fortunate, since I was armed with my .410,  because my 870 12 gauge was too long for my pop-up blind.  This year, I have a nice roomy tree-blind, so I won’t suffer from that limitation .  I also frost seeded some more clover last weekend, so hopefully, that plot will hold the flock a little longer.  

tree blind? Is a tree blind a elevated tree stand? If so I've never seen anybody hunt turkeys that way. Deer yes but never turkeys. I have always hunted them from the ground with my back to a tree but I am a old school turkey hunter.

Unrelated to your original gun question or your elevated blind tactic - I saw a ad for a portable blind that looked like a turkeys fan that I suppose you are to put in front of you as you stalk a turkey? Seemed like a good way to get shot but like I said I hunt a old school and was taught to never stalk a spring turkey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldBrian said:

tree blind? Is a tree blind a elevated tree stand? If so I've never seen anybody hunt turkeys that way. Deer yes but never turkeys. I have always hunted them from the ground with my back to a tree but I am a old school turkey hunter.

Unrelated to your original gun question or your elevated blind tactic - I saw a ad for a portable blind that looked like a turkeys fan that I suppose you are to put in front of you as you stalk a turkey? Seemed like a good way to get shot but like I said I hunt a old school and was taught to never stalk a spring turkey.

This is my tree-blind Brian.  The platform is 48” square and 9 ft above the ground.  It has a 3 ft high barnwood wall, so just my head is visible from the ground as I am seated on a padded swivel office chair.  The wall makes a great gun rest.  I killed a hen with my 12 gauge from a similar blind behind our place a few falls ago.

I have tried calls a little in the spring but had no real success with them.  I get a few answer gobbles but nothing shows and  the spring before last, a big gobbler came in without making a sound and caught me by surprise so I couldn’t get off a shot.  

I will bring the call, but I hope I don’t need it on that clover plot. I am hoping that a gobbler or jake notices my decoy out there and gets within 30 yards.  

I will definitely use the calls from my pop up blind, on the back side of those woods, when I hunt that location.  I need to use my crossbow back there though, because it is within 400 ft of some buildings owned by others.  I saw a big gobbler fly down from a tree, after Christmas, while I was hunting the Holiday ML deer season back there (with my crossbow). 

48733D38-E42C-4E76-8CDE-B96030589C83.thumb.jpeg.fcf6237f417c84c741432f34c6cf6f00.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

Quite a bit different method for turkey than I am used to. You hunt them from a elevated stand like guys hunt deer over a food plot and are mostly relying on using a decoy to get the bird to come within range.  Interesting. Take care and Good Luck Hunting.

Edited by OldBrian
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What is your usual point of aim on a turkey with that setup, when the shot offered is from the side, and from the front.  

I expect some of my turkey hunts will be with my crossbow and 125 gr NAP spitfire broadheads. 

9 hours ago, OldBrian said:

Quite a bit different method for turkey than I am used to. You hunt them from a elevated stand like guys hunt deer over a food plot and are mostly relying on using a decoy to get the bird to come within range.  Interesting. Take care and Good Luck Hunting.

For me, the turkeys are mostly just an excuse to go visit my parents, who are getting up in years, and often need help with stuff and checking up on.

lts also relaxing sitting in that comfortable blind for an hour or two and listening to the woods wake up.  It also costs me a lot less money for gas to turkey hunt than it does to take my boat out fishing.  If a hunk of dry cardboard shows up and offers me a shot, that’s just a nice bonus.

• Like 1

What is your usual point of aim on a turkey with that setup, when the shot offered is from the side, and from the front.  
I expect some of my turkey hunts will be with my crossbow and 125 gr NAP spitfire broadheads. 

Facing me or facing away, Just below the beard if facing me. Facing away just above the tail. My favorite is full strut Texas heart shot. It gives you a bullseye and I’ve never seen one flop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Facing me or facing away, Just below the beard if facing me. Facing away just above the tail. My favorite is full strut Texas heart shot. It gives you a bullseye and I’ve never seen one flop.

That's the most simple way I've ever heard the turkey archery shot explained. 

3 hours ago, Belo said:

Spent more hours at the farm this weekend pruning.

I’m just about ready for turkey just need to put a blind or 2 out and the cams.

You put up blinds ahead of season? Does that seem to work well? Do you hunt with decoys? This is an interesting thought. I wear a ghillie suit and plan on moving around alot,  but I no guys campout on a set-up also. I guess every situation is different.

21 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

You put up blinds ahead of season? Does that seem to work well? Do you hunt with decoys? This is an interesting thought. I wear a ghillie suit and plan on moving around alot,  but I no guys campout on a set-up also. I guess every situation is different.

I've built permanent blinds from large logs and rocks  in known roost areas, works very well  have taken  several this way but reccomend you rake a path into it at least 50 to 75 yard  long as to sneak in under sleeping  bird...  works very well if you have roosted birds night before 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

On 3/27/2022 at 9:35 PM, Kmartinson said:

I like to get one in a few weeks before so they become use to it. This year I might do 2 as I learn the property. That said, I also rock a ghilie suit and move a lot, but I do like a good place to "start" that is near where I think they're roosted and the blind is nice for cruddy weather too.

• Like 1