Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

5 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Now this sounds like something only Ny could come up with…..You may not hunt Turkey with crossbow in the fall in the Northern zone if you are using dogs…. Has anyone ever hunted turkeys with dogs using any kind of weapon?                             Typical for this state. 

I believe it is popular amongst a very small group of people.  I think there are guides that do this as I have read articles in outdoor magazines.  As Pygmy said, the primary purpose of the specially trained dogs is to find and scatter a flock.  Then the dog (who is trained to do so) is hidden under a blanket or towel while the hunter attempts to call the flock back.  Clearly this would not work in areas with smallish tightly posted areas like where I hunt.

Went down around the corner this morning. Just before first light, I heard some tree action. I quietly backed out. I'll head back to the area later and look for scat in the area and feathers on the ground. It's getting close to go time, so I don't plan to screw up any areas. I'd say I hope any other guys scouting the area will do the same, but it's doubtful.

I suspect that the 1-1/8 oz 16 #4 Federal duck and pheasant loads that I will be using will get the job done just fine on a turkey, inside of 25 yards.    It looks like most of the more experienced turkey hunters here concur.  

I would compare your setup to someone wanting to hunt deer with a 9mm from a carbine. Will it do the job if the hunter is willing to strictly stay within its effective ranges and only take perfect shots? Absolutely, is there a hunter that would recommend it to another hunter? Not a chance!

Your pattern is abysmal, your setup is awful! If I had a raccoon in the chicken coop and had the option of that setup or a shovel I’m probably grabbing the shovel but if you’re careful and have the self control it “will get the job done just fine.” Much like a 9mm carbine for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Guys are choosing to use .410, you can buy custom loads or load your own. I just wonder about choke? I'm sure it can be done but I want the advantage, I don't want to wound a bird so I'm shooting turkey loads out of a turkey choke

Wounding a bird has nothing to do with the choke or the load it has to do with the one pulling the trigger and their self control. Your Turkey choke and turkey loads are still only effective to let’s say 60yds if you shoot at one at 70 you’re likelihood to wound the bird goes up exponentially. I don’t hunt with a “Turkey choke” or a “Turkey load” but my max range is 30yds. If I shoot at them at 30 I’m not going to wound them due to mechanical failure it will be a me failure.

I choose my setups because of my style of hunting, I don’t call much, I love to run and gun and sneak in very close. Back when I hunted with “turkey loads” and “turkey chokes” I missed/wounded a lot of turkeys because my patterns were too tight for the sub 15yd shots. To give myself the advantage at those ranges for my average shots I’m willing to give up the range.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would compare your setup to someone wanting to hunt deer with a 9mm from a carbine. Will it do the job if the hunter is willing to strictly stay wiring effective ranges and only take perfect shots? Absolutely, is there a hunter that would recommend it? Not a chance!

Your pattern is abysmal, your setup is awful! If I had a raccoon in the chicken coop and had the option of that setup or a shovel I’m probably grabbing the shovel but if you’re careful it “will get the job done just fine.” Much like a 9mm carbine for deer.

So far my record on turkeys is one for one and I would like to keep that perfect record intact.  As it have said repeatedly, I was not overly satisfied with the performance of my 12 ga. 3” #5 and extra-full choke on that one fall bird.   It took two shots to finish her.   She certainly would have expired from my first shot had I been a little more patient.

When I was 15, I missed a big buck with the open sights on my Ithaca 37 and I have always blamed that on buck fever and not having a good sight picture when that buck was in close (about 20 yards).  The same thing probably resulted in a less than perfect hit on the one and only turkey that I shot with my 12 ga 870 and single bead sight.  Since I put that 1.5 Weaver on my Ithaca 16 ga pump, when I was 16, it has not failed to deliver on deer.  

last years in case you forgot:

A4883854-E1E8-432D-ABAB-531969C514CA.thumb.jpeg.7802794d66b0f28e1cc36fdb5813763e.jpeg

That is the primary reason I want to use it (with my modified choke barrel) on turkeys.  I detest the thought of wounding any animal regardless of how awful it tastes to me.  I will gladly choke down a couple of “feathered-rat” breasts if I have to, just for the sport, and to save a little corn for some tastier animals.  

I know now that I have to get those turkeys within 25 yards, to insure a clean kill, but I am very confident that will be the result if I have that Weaver’s crosshairs on their neck when I send out 1-1/8 oz of lead # 5’s.

I would be thankful if I could the first forum member to kill a turkey with a 16 ga.  It sounds like you and a few others have done ok with 20’s so it shouldn’t be that tough.

Edited by wolc123

So far my record on turkeys is one for one and I would like to keep that perfect record intact.  As it have said repeatedly, I was not overly satisfied with the performance of my 12 ga. 3” #5 and extra-full choke on that one fall bird.   It took two shots to finish her.   She certainly would have expired from my first shot had I been a little more patient.
When I was 15, I missed a big buck with the open sights on my Ithaca 37 and I have always blamed that on buck fever and not having a good sight picture when that buck was in close (about 20 yards).  The same thing probably resulted in a less than perfect hit on the one and only turkey that I shot with my 12 ga 870 and single bead sight.  Since I put that 1.5 Weaver on my Ithaca 16 ga pump, when I was 16, it has not failed to deliver on deer.  

last years in case you forgot:
A4883854-E1E8-432D-ABAB-531969C514CA.thumb.jpeg.7802794d66b0f28e1cc36fdb5813763e.jpeg

That is the primary reason I want to use it (with my modified choke barrel) on turkeys.  I detest the thought of wounding any animal regardless of how awful it tastes to me.  I will gladly choke down a couple of “feathered-rat” breasts if I have to, just for the sport, and to save a little corn for some tastier animals.  

I know now that I have to get those flying feathered rats within 25 yards, to insure a clean kill, but I am very confident that will be the result if I have that Weavers crosshairs on their neck when I send out 1-1/8 oz of lead # 5’s.

I would be thankful if I could the first forum member to kill a turkey with a 16 ga.  It sounds like you and a few others have done ok with 20’s so it shouldn’t be that tough.

Have at it, as I’ve said from the start it’s a lot better than your .410. I think you’re a fool for not stepping down to a smaller shot size and getting more pellets on the paper.

Don’t compare my 20’s to what you’re planning on toting! This is a pattern with a 2 3/4” heavy game load at 25yds. I have more bb’s in a 2.5” circle than you have on the entire paper with your choice of setup. This isn’t from any crazy turkey chokes or turkey ammo just cheap high brass and a pretty open choke.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_3796.thumb.jpg.5aaa269c3344942c249db1a01068d95a.jpg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I choose my setups because of my style of hunting, I don’t call much, I love to run and gun and sneak in very close. Back when I hunted with “turkey loads” and “turkey chokes” I missed/wounded a lot of turkeys because my patterns were too tight for the sub 15yd shots. To give myself the advantage at those ranges for my average shots I’m willing to give up the range.

I wrote about this a while back. Guys get such a hard on for distance and they become blurry eyed and  ignorant to how a projectile cone of bb's acts. The longer range setup (of which I have) requires a very tight pattern that expands at distance, but to achieve that you're shooting baseball and softball size spreads at 20 yards which I have learned through experience and at the range is generally what most of us are shooting birds at, and if we're honest I'd rather have a pie plate at 20 than a softball and just except that the gobbler at 50 isn't going in my smoker.

But this is what's cool about turkey hunting. You can setup your gun for what you want and how you hunt. I just wish some guys could get over their egos and understand that.

If we need to continue with deer analogies, it's very similar to shooting a compound with a 50 lb draw weight. Absolutely lethal, but maybe not at 50+ yards on a less than ideal shot. But if you're hunting those distances, maybe a 65 lb draw weight is what you need. Both setups have their advantages. 

• Like 1

trust me nobody has forgotten about your buck with the shell hanging off the antler. I see it in my sleep. Have you patterned that setup? If so, can you show us pictures? It's entirely possible you have a great setup and just had a poor shot. It doesn't mean you throw the setup out the window. What you see on paper is what you're getting in reality. The field wont change the pattern, the only thing that changes is the hunter and their anxiety. Of course you need to feel comfortable and confident with your setup, but I just can't see how you'd feel comfortable with that setup.

You and I butt heads but generally I like you wolc. You're a good honest dude, even if you hunt a little differently than I would and believe a little differently than most. You're a meat eater and seem like a genuine good person. So your utter stubbornness here to disregard the advice of some pretty experienced and knowledgeable bird hunters (not including me here) is baffling and I just don't get it. And you stated you don't even like turkey, so I just can't understand why all the trouble. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I wrote about this a while back. Guys get such a hard on for distance and they become blurry eyed and  ignorant to how a projectile cone of bb's acts. The longer range setup (of which I have) requires a very tight pattern that expands at distance, but to achieve that you're shooting baseball and softball size spreads at 20 yards which I have learned through experience and at the range is generally what most of us are shooting birds at, and if we're honest I'd rather have a pie plate at 20 than a softball and just except that the gobbler at 50 isn't going in my smoker.

But this is what's cool about turkey hunting. You can setup your gun for what you want and how you hunt. I just wish some guys could get over their egos and understand that.

If we need to continue with deer analogies, it's very similar to shooting a compound with a 50 lb draw weight. Absolutely lethal, but maybe not at 50+ yards on a less than ideal shot. But if you're hunting those distances, maybe a 65 lb draw weight is what you need. Both setups have their advantages. 

That's exactly why I'm not a fan of the extra full turkey choke that came with my savage 301. Even in a 20GA, a 3" shell in #4 is very tight at 15-25 yards. 35-40 is a lot better, but still fairly tight. I did make a shot at 50, and it was just about perfect, but I will not shoot at a turkey that far out. It's not a matter of confidence, it's a matter of not wanting to take that risk. With that choke, I found a standard 2 3/4" #6 is far better than the 3" load.

The 320 with a full choke patterned fine from 15-35 with the 3" #4's.

Both will get the job done if I've done my part and get the bird in my comfort zone.

I didn't get to hunt turkey much last year. This year I'll have more time to get out, and have been scouting a little more, and trying to be a little smarter in my scouting. As I've said before, I could go out and roost a bird on a limb the night before opener, opening morning get out there only to find someone else already there. I'm not sleeping in my car, where the only time you're allowed to be there is during daylight hunting hours. Actually, 4 of the places I hunt are open from sunrise to sunset, so legally you're not supposed to be in there when the hunting hours start, but DEC doesn't really give anyone any crap for hunting the legal hunting hours.

• Like 1

That's exactly why I'm not a fan of the extra full turkey choke that came with my savage 301. Even in a 20GA, a 3" shell in #4 is very tight at 15-25 yards. 35-40 is a lot better, but still fairly tight. I did make a shot at 50, and it was just about perfect, but I will not shoot at a turkey that far out. It's not a matter of confidence, it's a matter of not wanting to take that risk. With that choke, I found a standard 2 3/4" #6 is far better than the 3" load.
The 320 with a full choke patterned fine from 15-35 with the 3" #4's.
Both will get the job done if I've done my part and get the bird in my comfort zone.

I didn't get to hunt turkey much last year. This year I'll have more time to get out, and have been scouting a little more, and trying to be a little smarter in my scouting. As I've said before, I could go out and roost a bird on a limb the night before opener, opening morning get out there only to find someone else already there. I'm not sleeping in my car, where the only time you're allowed to be there is during daylight hunting hours. Actually, 4 of the places I hunt are open from sunrise to sunset, so legally you're not supposed to be in there when the hunting hours start, but DEC doesn't really give anyone any crap for hunting the legal hunting hours.

Good and interesting point on the shell size. Me over here with my 3.5’s haha

Friday I got to try out my new Kunz rough cut mower on the field I plan to plant some clover on. Thing is a beast. It's amazing that a field that is left for a year will be so full of saplings already. Sunday went back and used the new sprayer which also worked well (I think), time will tell how well it killed the grass. I'll tell you what though, a big jug of super concentrate round up isn't cheap and it might be just enough to do 2 acres with a heavy and light pass.

Cameras aren't popping any birds at all, so come opening day I'm not sure where I'll start out. One field I'm letting grow this spring which will be better for birds I think as it's also less swampy ground. Next year I think the clover/chicory plot will be a magnet too. 

Edited by Belo

15 hours ago, BizCT said:

How do you tell her from other ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess it's possible there's another hen who shows up in my back yard every year with an 8 inch+ beard?  Maybe these other pictures show it better

PXL_20220419_121509145.jpg

PXL_20220419_121506369.jpg

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I guess it's possible there's another hen who shows up in my back yard every year with an 8 inch+ beard?  Maybe these other pictures show it better

PXL_20220419_121509145.jpg

PXL_20220419_121506369.jpg

didnt know it had a beard. got it.

Kicked off my 2022 season this morning, always a good feeling sliding shells in the mag at 430 am.

Called a hen in just after daylight, let her walk off started a slow troll and had a bird fire back gave him a minute and hit him again and he cut me off but he was 4-500 yards out. Set down to give him 5 minutes to take his temp again as I was way above him on the mountain so he had a good vantage point to bustme making a move.
It started raining about 7am and by 715 it was pouring. I set on the dry side of a triple trunk wild cherry out of the wind and most of the rain... he never gobbled again after setting an hour.
So I was on my feet and trolled the toothed all the way back to the truck, unloaded put gear in the truck and beat feet to a new piece of public 25miles away that I have been scouring over maps of.

Worked my way up a very steep 400 foot incline which would put me on a power line and a bench below 2 hidden field on the back side of the 1200 acre parcel.

What didn't show on the map was EQT drilling a gas well and laying gas mains. Oh well play the hand your dealt, and I had already seen plenty of turkey sign.

I had trolled several hundred yards along the power line road when I had a bird about blow my hat off in response to a call sequence. I hit the closest tree and thought altho loud it sounded jakey. I called again and he cut me off and now was sure it was a jake but he was so close sometimes a full adult bird can sound odd.

When he hit me the third call sequence it was time to get the 835 ready for action. Finally a hen came up the roadway and behind her was a white snowball. All I could see was his neck and head so as I am looking at his head in the scope I'm thinking man it looks small.

Finally he drops into strut and......yup a step fan.. dang oh well fun anyways. A well truck started down the roadway and the 2 birds pitched off the hill and glided all the way across the valley to the other mountain.

I trolled some more and ended up calling in a massive hen and then had to hustle to be back at the truck by 1pm.

Now to get ready for pa youth season Saturday

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Well we had my 13 year old granddaughter and my buddies 8yr old daughter out, all total I called in 10 jakes , 2 longbeards , 4 hens all male birds walked away without a shot being fired. We did a lot of walking and the kids stuck it out from 5am till 12:30

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

• Like 1