Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

54 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just walked the neighborhood alongside my local spot hoping to hear some birds. Kids are riding the gasline they normally roost on so im not sure where theyll be 9ebe955548420c16d9630fd84b732a13.jpg
9fff6fcdd49bc7f7a6571edd3c92f5dc.jpg
0ffacb14c4a3bc4bf370d36085652d4d.jpg
93bb1b6b4c0b5a97b4f5ec9b310ece4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good to see those kids wearing helmets.   

Haven’t had a cam pop a picture of a bird in 2 weeks. I think the woods are too wet, going to have to hunt the fields early on I think and not the roosts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a pic today...of a hunter walking out with a turkey. He wasn't carrying a gun so ill assume the youth was behind him and I didnt get a pic

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Well---- Gobblers  would not come to my Decoy- so,I packed that up and moved on 1 Gobbler.

He Gobbled closer then,I thought he was as,I was moving to a Set- up Tree. I had to settle for a Small Blowdown while kneeling. He came on and at 45 yards- he must of seen me move a bit. Putt...  A very slow walk away. 

That Wiley Devil!!  

Try these Gobblers again tomorrow.  I know where they Roosted. No decoy and in light.

I am not known to take opening day Gobblers and it continues.  Walked in at 5am and out at 9am.

They were hitting my medium length Box.

20220407_071724.jpg

Sounds promising for tomorrow

• Like 1

Permethrin Day for me. CT Turkey opener with the bow is Wednesday I plan to Hunt before work. So I’ll take a few bow shots later today or tomorrow since it’s been 6 months

67259288611__061248C9-B94C-445C-A6F5-5DE28CFF5476.jpg
  • Like 2

Opening Day for me in CT tomorrow. I'll give a shot with my bow before work (5am - 8am). I noticed though my cell pics and visual sightings of Turkeys in April are 8am - 10am. I guess if I don't see/hear anything tomorrow, I'll try next time around 8am instead

• Like 2

Permethrin Day for me. CT Turkey opener with the bow is Wednesday I plan to Hunt before work. So I’ll take a few bow shots later today or tomorrow since it’s been 6 months

67259288611__061248C9-B94C-445C-A6F5-5DE28CFF5476.thumb.jpg.07166e3d1e14a188ecbc3f303a88fdc5.jpg
Sprayed my clothes 2 days ago. Good luck in ct!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 11:27 AM, BizCT said:

my permethrin day was yesterday and then i forgot to bring them in and it rained. I think it's still fine but I like to let it soak a few days. oh well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

No. There were 3 or 4 Gobbling just on the other side of a Brook. They flew down and were coming in to my loud calls when the Hunter shot.

Walked out and decided to drive around to  work the other 3 Birds since this guy would be gone. 

Got there and 4 Turkey Hunters were walking up to where,I wanted to park. One Guy pointed that  out to me. Turned and drove away.

So,What happened, I think is that the Birds  were moving in my direction  after Flydown and they must have been seen. Hard to conceal 4 Turkey Hunters.  

No one was carrying a Dead Gobbler. 

Glad,I drove around to hunt since,I thought 1 Hunter was successful  and learned really that 1 hunter missed over the top as the Gobblers were walking in my direction. 

Both groups- me and them were separated  by probably  100 yards in the Hardwoods without knowing initially  that another hunter was nearby.

I heard no calls from them- but they easily heard my calls. I had a high pitched Aluminum  Pot

This is common on Public. No one is really in the wrong initially.  But they did know the Gobblers were headed in my direction.  I think that is when they were seen as they moved closer.

Happy to know that a Tom was missed over the Top.

I was shocked I didn't see another hunter in the woods today. Maybe it was too cold/windy for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

I was shocked I didn't see another hunter in the woods today. Maybe it was too cold/windy for them.

IDK about there but it was snowing this morning. Call me fair weather, but it's no fun turkey hunting in the bitter cold. What I love about turkey season compared to deer is that the woods are coming alive and things are growing vs everything going dormant and things dying in the fall. 

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

IDK about there but it was snowing this morning. Call me fair weather, but it's no fun turkey hunting in the bitter cold. What I love about turkey season compared to deer is that the woods are coming alive and things are growing vs everything going dormant and things dying in the fall. 

See and I am not a fan of spring turkey as it is usually a tick and mosquito parade!! lol

• Like 2

44 wasn’t bad. But 16mph winds

• Sad 1

44 wasn’t bad. But 16mph winds

This spring has been brutal…for spring…and just not enjoyable. Been on the golf course 7 times (tough office) and every time it’s been windy and not pleasant. Not cold, but just not pleasant. Tomorrow has 20+ mph gusts predicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2