Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

I don’t understand how some of you guys on the forum think they can tell a gobble is 400yds away or 800yd or 1500yds. to think you judge distance that far based on sound with so many variables (wind, topography, etc.), seems quite silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can’t, best you can do is have an idea where he is based on topography and know how far said topography is from your location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Catch and release turkey hunting, it’s all part of the fun!

6 jakes ran off the Tom I was on. On to the next property.

Yes, and unlike bass at least, wild turkey are not such a “fine food source”, so it’s no big deal if you “senselessly maim” one now and then.  

Edited by wolc123

Got it done with my hunting buddy of 25+ years. He shot his first turkey ever, a jake this morning about 300 yards away from where I killed my first turkey 25 years ago. Got the whole thing on video too. He's pretty pumped.20220501_064123_1_1.thumb.jpg.36b075e396a04e5e22088c95e52ae9e2.jpg

Congrats…blew his head right off in the picture!!!

Property line saved the bird I was on. Ran around to cut him off and came across the bear and her cubs. This times a lot farther away. So I sat and watched her dig through logs while the cubs were running around climbing trees.  She actually has 3 cubs cute little shits. Oh well home how have some stuff to do this morning.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Property line saved the bird I was on. Ran around to cut him off and came across the bear and her cubs. This times a lot farther away. So I sat and watched her dig through logs while the cubs were running around climbing trees.  She actually has 3 cubs cute little shits. Oh well home how have some stuff to do this morning.

That’s pretty cool.  I saw a black squirrel this morning, which was the first time I ever saw one of those at my place.  

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

I don’t understand how some of you guys on the forum think they can tell a gobble is 400yds away or 800yd or 1500yds. to think you judge distance that far based on sound with so many variables (wind, topography, etc.), seems quite silly.

Which way they’re facing is the biggest factor. 

• Like 1

Which way they’re facing is the biggest factor. 

Sure. But to guess a half mile away without ever being able to confirm anyway seems crazy. Not every Turkey talks at the same DBA level either. So it’s all merely a guess

Yes, and unlike bass at least, wild turkey are not such a “fine food source”, so it’s no big deal if you “senselessly maim” one now and then.  
This is one of the most assinine statements I have ever read in this turkey forum. It shows just how much of a hypocrite you are. Preach how God loving you are then in the next breath saying its "no big deal" to maim a turkey now and then, one of gods finest creatures.

I would hope that one of the mods will remove the post so it doesn't give us all a bad rap in the publics eye, as far as that goes they can remove this one as well.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Got to my spot at 4:50. First gobbles were at 5:10 from what I figured was a group of jake's 75 yards out as they were all in the same tree . Several other birds gobbling in different spots within 200 yards.  At 5:20, 6 jakes landed at 15 yrds. Couple minutes later I see a full fan headed my way. The jakes started after him, and I figured they were going to run him off. They pestered him for a minute, and he broke strut and rapidly headed my way with the jakes right behind him.  Shot him at 5:35.  26lbs, 1 1/8 spur, 9" beard. 

On the way out I spotted another group across the road.  I'll go after those another day.

IMG_20220501_055156163_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220501_060639686.jpg

• Like 36

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

WTF is wrong with you? What a incredibly stupid attitude. Do you feel the same about a wounded deer? No big deal....

• Like 1

That was a close one! Found a bird from the road had to take the long way around because I don’t have permission on the property he was on but can hunt the woods behind the field. Got in as close as I felt comfortable found a tree and he cut me off but was a couple hundred yards further than where I’d seen him, we went back and fourth for a minute or so then I shut up. He kept gobbling but never got closer. Then I heard a gobble to my right, a few light yelps and purrs and he was coming on a string. He got to 30yds but wouldn’t come under the fence. And eventually worked his way off. I dropped into the ravine and got in front of him. My Hail Mary is in the air…

• Like 2

Not hunting this season do to zero birds. Did get up and sit at the woods edge and listened, not expecting to hear gobbles because haven't heard anything all of last month. But did listen for shots and didn't hear a single shot either. Just confirming the complete deadness here in my area. Never thought I'd see the day. I'm at a point even if I did hear one now I wouldn't even call it.

4 hours ago, BizCT said:

I can tell when their within a couple hundred yards and when they're close enough to be ready to position myself. But that's about it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BizCT said:

I can  pin a gobble to within  50 yards up to a half mile away.  Hills valleys ravines..  i can tell you what tree it in under 200.   Knowing property and features  is  key,  dont believe me can ask taco. . 

• Like 1

Gotnit done for friend ive been taking out for last few years 1st 2 days of season. Didnt get the  big one to come in as he had dominant hen with him. And she pulled him down the hill.  We did a  quick reposition after walking in  roundabout a few hundred yards to get ahead and on same level as flock. 

Was able to pull a group of jakes away and  after 20 minutes of them coming in leaving, calling back in, he was finally able to see a beard on one though they were gobbling .  His 2nd bird  in 4 years of hunting.  Made a great shot, bang and flop... done at 7 am. 20220501_065425.thumb.jpg.110175d1abbe6f66d8f87599da9964b5.jpg20220501_065431.thumb.jpg.f5ce77588070965b85aeb946833e4bbb.jpg

• Like 30