Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Tried to move in under some birds we found yesterday. Kept pushing in slowly, found a good pinch point around 445 sat down and prepared for the morning to begin, as the sun came up we realized we were directly under the flock and the chaos ensued. Had some pokes at the 2 Jake's in the group, gobbling all over us and big boys just rolled on uphill. No breeding behavior imo. Just regular chuckle heads looking for love still. Good times!!! Going to try to get uphill of them tomorrow. Plenty of gobbling near me til 730 am.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Went to 2 areas with my Turkey Hunting Partner Cynthia here.

No Gobbling at the 1st area. Got wet- back to the cars and warmed up. Back out-- nothing.

We left for another  area that must remain secret. 

Got there at 9.15am. Called close to 9.30am and lo and behold-- there be Gobblers Gobbling.

Closed the distance. 4 Gobblers and a few small Jakes. They were on Private and would not Flap Twice across a Stream.

We had a Ball. I Cutt- they Gobbled. Loud + Long Yelping-- more Gobbling. We watched them come close.

Cynthia saw 2 of them Fighting after,I tried some Fighting Purrs.

Try again tomorrow  She gets first shot

Can't wait to connect with one of those big boys . Was fun watch but frustrating  when they could just jump over to our side.  I didn't want to leave . Lolol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, G-Man said:

Leaves male great lettuce substitue on sandwiches, and make a good dip

I  love the whole things drizzled in olive oil, salt, pepper and then grilled quick to a light char.   Sometimes I will do that in a sauté pan inside so I can let the bulbs cook a little longer. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Otto said:

I  love the whole things drizzled in olive oil, salt, pepper and then grilled quick to a light char.   Sometimes I will do that in a sauté pan inside so I can let the bulbs cook a little longer. 

Also excellent when prepared like that and broiled on low for a couple minutes. Very tasty!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

Not turkey related,other than I wish I was in the woods instead of work tomorrow morning!!!currently in the front yard,was a crow now a Grey squirrel terrorizing hawk.surprised he hasn't had enough!

20220502_185526.jpg

20220502_185539.jpg

20220502_184657.jpg

I'm rooting for the Hawk !!!

Edited by GreeneHunter

Found these birds yesterday afternoon while scouting a recent land swap of public. He gobbled a bunch from the tree down in a swamp and I got in to about 100yds and setup. Once it got light I could hear hens so I moved and got in between them and him. Once I heard him fly down I made a few soft yelps on the diaphragm and that’s all it took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_3900.jpg
  • Like 41

Quick question for you experienced turkey hunters: What is the earliest you have seen a tom fly down on his own?

I got caught setting up on a bird opening day.  He must have been able to see my decoy and flew down around 5:10.  I got my face mask on and made the best of a shoddy setup.  He put on a heck of a show for 20 minutes, strutting and gobbling for my hen decoy about 80 yards out.  Two live hens flew down and hurried away from him.  I yelped at him and got him to come within 50 yards, but as he circled further to my left I had to move the gun and got caught.  It was still fun.  

Didn't connect the first two days and now it's back to work.  Saw lots of deer (which was encouraging), more turkeys than I expected, and a bear that spent every evening grazing in some hay fields.  

Congrats to those who connected.  It's a long season.  Looking forward to getting back out, but I'm busier than usual with work.  We shall see...

• Like 2

Quick question for you experienced turkey hunters: What is the earliest you have seen a tom fly down on his own?
I got caught setting up on a bird opening day.  He must have been able to see my decoy and flew down around 5:10.  I got my face mask on and made the best of a shoddy setup.  He put on a heck of a show for 20 minutes, strutting and gobbling for my hen decoy about 80 yards out.  Two live hens flew down and hurried away from him.  I yelped at him and got him to come within 50 yards, but as he circled further to my left I had to move the gun and got caught.  It was still fun.  
Didn't connect the first two days and now it's back to work.  Saw lots of deer (which was encouraging), more turkeys than I expected, and a bear that spent every evening grazing in some hay fields.  
Congrats to those who connected.  It's a long season.  Looking forward to getting back out, but I'm busier than usual with work.  We shall see...

Too many variables. I’ve had birds fly down in the pitch dark and I’ve had them stay in trees until 8.

If he could see the hen and there is other gobblers around it would make sense that he’d want to get down to her first.

Another thing to remember is 530 on the eastern edge of the state is a lot different than 530 on the western edge. So exact times really don’t mean much.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I can’t tell you the earliest I’ve seen them fly down but I’ve surely had them fly away in the pitch dark.   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

I can’t tell you the earliest I’ve seen them fly down but I’ve surely had them fly away in the pitch dark.   :)

I've seen them do that when they're spooked.  This was in Central Vermont, so 5:10 was early.  It was a clear morning.  Just confusing to me because if he could see the decoy, then he should have seen me put it out.  I walked back to the tree, picked a different tree 10 yards away, sat down and he flew down.  

30 years of turkey hunting and there's always things to learn!

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Found these birds yesterday afternoon while scouting a recent land swap of public. He gobbled a bunch from the tree down in a swamp and I got in to about 100yds and setup. Once it got light I could hear hens so I moved and got in between them and him. Once I heard him fly down I made a few soft yelps on the diaphragm and that’s all it took.

IMG_3900.jpg

Congrats! Now go eat that bird! I made this turkey leg recipe for friends the other day. They loved it. 
https://fromfieldtoplate.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/wild-turkey-leg-thigh-barbacoa/

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

IMG_3900.jpg

Out of likes! Great job!