Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

I KNEW IT!! I HEFTED THAT GOBBLER AND TOLD CYNTHIA-- THIS IS LIKE THE HEAVIEST  GOBBLER,I HAVE HEFTED. I KILLED A FEW 23LBERS AND ,I KNEW THIS GUY  WAS HEAVIER.  I SAID 23-- POSSIBLY 24LBS.--

BUT 26LBS?!! THIS IS NOT IOWA!

CYNTHIA- THAT MAY BE YOUR GOBBLER OF A LIFETIME- SIZEWISE.

TEAMWORK. CYNTHIA SENT ME BACK IN. WALKED RIGHT DOWN TO WHERE,I SAW HIM AND THE BIRD POPPED OUT IN FRONT OF HER.

Multiple  Birds responded  to my Cedar Short Box. Cant  wait for tomorrow!!!

Wish I was off tomorrow.  If not I am Tuesday.  

10 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

We found some birds but the Hen took them away . So Bill and I wonder  around  looking for away to this other ridge that we heard some on . Can't get there unless we go thur thick stuff. So we were making our way back . Walking and talking and all of a sudden on the trail ahead  gobble gobble gobble . So I got tucked into a tree bill did his magic  but the bird was going around us and he went quite . So we got up and start making our way down the trail  and the bird spots us and head back to the trail so I go out to the trail and bill  follows . I said  bill he is still in there go back around and push him my way . So bill goes back in I make my way down alittle on the trail . Then pop I see him coming  I figured  he was going to run across so my first shot missed and this dumb bird just turns and starts walking up the trail so I shot again and  dirt nap for the bird   beard is 10 inches  spurs are alittle over 1 inch. And he weight is 26 pounds . Wesome bird . Thank you Mr Bill. We make a great team . Can't wait to do it again . Bill stayed in the woods the birds we really moving around today. Butchered myself . So still learning . Don't think I did to bad .

16520227963007983522920460659241.jpg

16520228203248915089376887746501.jpg

Biggest I’ve shot (that I recall) was my very first bird.  Shot it in Greenwood NY in 1981 with my buddy Al.  

We went into the local grocery store (Red & White maybe?) in Either Greenwood, Canisteo or Hornell and asked if they’d let us weigh the bird.   They said absolutely!!

Ran out to the truck and flopped it onto the deli scale.  23lbs and a couple ounces.   

They aren’t the easiest things to weigh.  Regular postage type scales don’t work well and I don’t trust the old fishing scales.    

What scale did you use Cynthia??

26lbs is a giant turkey! Congrats to the A team!!!

I have lost count of how many gobblers I’ve killed and have weighed all but a few on an antique grain scale and have killed one that was a hair over 24 and many in the 19-20 range but 26 is an absolute once in a lifetime trophy in my experience!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

26lbs is a giant turkey! Congrats to the A team!!!

I have lost count of how many gobblers I’ve killed and have weighed all but a few on an antique grain scale and have killed one that was a hair over 24 and many in the 19-20 range but 26 is an absolute once in a lifetime trophy in my experience!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my hands on hundreds of dead gobblers over the past 30+ yrs and all get weighed on some certified meat hanging scales at my family butcher shop. Only a handful have cracked the 23 mark with the family record hitting 23.5...many 21-22 pounders though. A true 26 pounder would be crazy!

PS: There has never been a 200# dressed deer weighed here either. Many so called 200 pounders have dropped to 175 after actually being weighed...lol

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 6