Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I have killed appx 130,  and my biggest spurs were 1 7/16....I can count the 1 3/8 on one hand and I mat have killed a dozen or so 1 1/4....

That's a hell of a bird....Congrats...

Unbelievable number..  congrats to you!!

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I have killed appx 130,  and my biggest spurs were 1 7/16....I can count the 1 3/8 on one hand and I mat have killed a dozen or so 1 1/4....

That's a hell of a bird....Congrats...

That's some serious numbers! I think you need a hunting ny name change with  career #s like that! lol My numbers have become pretty weak since having kids, work and morning baseball tends to get in the way of spring time chess! 

Thanks. Chasing these older birds, just like mature whitetails.. really teaches you how they do things to survive if your willing to pay attention.  

Congrats some nice birds so far!!!!
I’ve been messing around with this bird since opening day,but he doesn’t make a sound except in the afternoon and on the roost. He roost on mine or the property next to me almost every night never a peep out of him in the morning then I see him all over the neighborhood. I’m moving on and looking for another bird.
61d5ef8e46c8d64d05848308f8d03868.jpg
Good luck to everyone still chasing tail!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

One of those mornings where you can hear everything for half a mile, but not a single gobble.  Some idiot has educated these birds too much.  Gonna hang in the blind for 10 more minutes then start trawling.

Same by me. And we are on big land that i haven't seen many hunters long ways from the road. It's something environmental imo. I'm also confused. 

4 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Same by me. And we are on big land that i haven't seen many hunters long ways from the road. It's something environmental imo. I'm also confused. 

I hunted a spot yesterday where the first two days the birds were very vocal . Yesterday morning I heard one distant one I ended up going after because I heard nothing closer. Drove by at 6:30 and there were four gobblers following some hens right by my original setup even though they never gobbled once on the roost. This morning back up there and not a single gobble anywhere. Sat there on the field edge waiting for them to show up without calling until 7:00 and nothing. Back after them tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I knew having cell cams out would piss me off. Times an hour off
2306d502989f1e19f9347f8e7e191f5d.jpg

That wouldn't piss me off. Now you know there's some around for when you can get out there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

Had a hen yelp back at me a few times early, otherwise quiet on this beautiful morning.

Will be hunt #3 and the first without any gobbles if it holds.

pizz that hen off ! She yelps 3x you yelp 4x. Maybe she'll drag in Mr. Tom with her

• Like 1

Set up at 8:45, it’s freaking hot out !

Just rolled a coat up into a pillow, nap time. 

Almost got one yesterday at the 104/590 split it flew maybe a foot over the car in front of me .

ABD47B82-C1D6-4FA4-9D2A-5C1D12B7A208.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, E J said:

That wouldn't piss me off. Now you know there's some around for when you can get out there. 

Oh that's the point, I WAS out there... but in a different spot. This spot is pretty swampy but tends to get active as the spring dries out. I'll be there next sit for sure, if anything just to switch it up.

43 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

pizz that hen off ! She yelps 3x you yelp 4x. Maybe she'll drag in Mr. Tom with her

I'm like 0 for 3 with pissed off hens in my turkey career. I bring them in all angry and not once with a dude in tow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

I hunted a spot yesterday where the first two days the birds were very vocal . Yesterday morning I heard one distant one I ended up going after because I heard nothing closer. Drove by at 6:30 and there were four gobblers following some hens right by my original setup even though they never gobbled once on the roost. This morning back up there and not a single gobble anywhere. Sat there on the field edge waiting for them to show up without calling until 7:00 and nothing. Back after them tomorrow.

Hit that spot at 11am…….hopefully the hens have left and gone to sit on their nests.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Congrats! Your picture cropped you head off

That’s weird.    He needs a decent tripod and some more film; almost all cameras these days have three shot burst timers to help get the quality picture most desire.    

Oh, wait……I wonder if he (or she?) did that on purpose?  Lol no way!!

• Like 1

Went to my first spot on the edge of what I call the lower field, set out a Jake and hen decoy. Heard 2 gobbles on the roost, heard him fly down but never saw him. Maybe 15 minutes later I hear a few gobbles in the upper field. Try to call him in but no response. Had 3 deer stare and stomp at my dekes for almost an hour. Knowing I might have to go to work I decide to check the upper field on the way back home. Didn't see anything so I'm about to throw in the towel then a hawk flys off a tree and screams causing this Tom to shock gobble. He was in the field but behind just enough of a rise where we couldn't see each other. Quickly I set out the hen deke and sit in some thick stuff nearby. Give him a couple clucks and I see the periscope head pop up. He was about 80 yards to my left and the brush I was sitting in was pretty thick so I had trouble keeping eyes on him. But he quickly started strutting and pacing back and forth but wouldn't come any closer. I'm guessing he couldn't see my decoy because of the terrain. He looked like he was going to leave so I gave him some soft yelps. He gobbled and slowly headed my way in full strut. Got with 15 yards but I couldn't get a shot through that thick brush. He stayed within 20 yards of me for like 20 minutes but wouldn't walk out for a shot. He gobbled once so close I could feel it! He started to lose interest and slowly headed back in the direction he came from. He would take a few steps then look back at the deke for a while. I waited for just the right time and stuck my head out the brush, then waited for him to put his head down to raise the gun. Head came back up... trigger got pulled! About a 40 yard shot with the mossberg 500 20 gauge. Smallest spurs I ever saw on a gobbler with a full fan. Only measured 5/8 but had an 8 inch beard. Think I'll do a gobbling mount!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

That’s weird.    He needs a decent tripod and some more film; almost all cameras these days have three shot burst timers to help get the quality picture most desire.    

Oh, wait……I wonder if he (or she?) did that on purpose?  Lol no way!!

LOL. maybe he's not a citizen with an expired visa and can't show face?

1 hour ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Went to my first spot on the edge of what I call the lower field, set out a Jake and hen decoy. Heard 2 gobbles on the roost, heard him fly down but never saw him. Maybe 15 minutes later I hear a few gobbles in the upper field. Try to call him in but no response. Had 3 deer stare and stomp at my dekes for almost an hour. Knowing I might have to go to work I decide to check the upper field on the way back home. Didn't see anything so I'm about to throw in the towel then a hawk flys off a tree and screams causing this Tom to shock gobble. He was in the field but behind just enough of a rise where we couldn't see each other. Quickly I set out the hen deke and sit in some thick stuff nearby. Give him a couple clucks and I see the periscope head pop up. He was about 80 yards to my left and the brush I was sitting in was pretty thick so I had trouble keeping eyes on him. But he quickly started strutting and pacing back and forth but wouldn't come any closer. I'm guessing he couldn't see my decoy because of the terrain. He looked like he was going to leave so I gave him some soft yelps. He gobbled and slowly headed my way in full strut. Got with 15 yards but I couldn't get a shot through that thick brush. He stayed within 20 yards of me for like 20 minutes but wouldn't walk out for a shot. He gobbled once so close I could feel it! He started to lose interest and slowly headed back in the direction he came from. He would take a few steps then look back at the deke for a while. I waited for just the right time and stuck my head out the brush, then waited for him to put his head down to raise the gun. Head came back up... trigger got pulled! About a 40 yard shot with the mossberg 500 20 gauge. Smallest spurs I ever saw on a gobbler with a full fan. Only measured 5/8 but had an 8 inch beard. Think I'll do a gobbling mount!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sounds fun!