Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Didn’t hunt Tuesday-Friday due to work. Last x I heard this gobbler was Monday. 49% chance neighbor killed him.  51% he just isn’t talking today.  I am hearing tiny whispering from my fishing rod to go catch some smb and steelhead. 

At least fishing you catch something, even if it's just bait.

Two and a half hours sitting might be time to do a loop up around to the field I was avoiding for this morning. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Called it. Walked the 400 yards to car and see gobbler walking along different cut corn field. Had hedgerow as cover. He didn’t see me or even perk up to a soft call I threw at him. 

You've been close Jay. I see you holding a nice gobbler very soon my friend. 

• Like 2

I called it around 10. Black flies getting between my glasses were starting to annoy me enough I was ready to tag one of them little nasty buggers.

This is already getting frustrating, can't afford to keep driving 20 miles one way for nothing.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, Belo said:

We're close to mid-season already as sad as it is to say. What's the consensuses for everyone? Normal season, quiet season, active season?

I don't have a great history on the property I hunt so it's hard for me to determine, but it seems the activity has been less than last year. I've had gobbling and yelps, but only eyes on 2 birds. 

It depends on how many birds are on your properties. I have had multiple birds come in silent. Lots of tree gobbling. Jakes being dumb. In my experience turkeys seem hotter when the folage first opens up and I suspect hunting should be good for next couple weeks. There are many turkeys near me but it took me a week to find them after the Batchelor groups broke up. It's turkey rutt, it can change in any moment. I've been out every day except 1 and heard gobbles most of those days. I think its all situational per each bird individually. 

Had 3 birds work off onto private I can't hunt. 2nd time there, I suspect they are henned up and look forward to continuing the harassment in the future. We hunted til noon then we decided to check on the trout in that area. Not disappointing. We caught over a dozen, mostly small but a 10" brook trout is largest one I've caught in a while. Picture quality bad, time spent with my brother..... Quality. 

Today I'm hunting 1 big single Tom that I have seen in the past week. With the weather being funky I'm just set up where he lives, haven't called yet because I haven't heard a turkey yet. Deer hunting this bird today.108886.thumb.jpeg.a22f6c2668fd53303dc485ff2e1ab1b8.jpeg

108888.jpeg

108957.jpeg

108958.jpeg

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Your 1st sentence  does not apply to me.

Sounds  like you have multiple  Private Lands.

Now these Sly + Clever Public Gobblers have been hunted by some Deadly Spring Turkey Hunters.

So far it has been an exciting Season without yet taking a Tom.

And 19th time out so far.

This year I have hunted mostly public. Only 2 days private. It makes a difference for me. I'm driving 600 miles a week and hiking every afternoon looking for sign that silent birds make. 13 days in for me, NY only so far. If I'm lucky enough to fill 2nd tag I'll try Pennsylvania.  Scouting ast week of April was really key for me.

• Like 3

Started our morning across from our house with no luck. Neighbor txtd me around 6 to ask if i was out with my son behind our house, told him nope but we were making our way back there shortly. Well he was out with his daughter and had 3 jakes going like crazy, wished him and her luck and kept trying where we were. Little back story on his daughter. Her and my son are friends, same grade and started competing with each other during their first deer season last year. She got 2 doe and he got a doe and a buck. So now she is after him for turkey season, she missed 1 tom this year so far. Back to hunting...we wait 15 more minutes and started heading back to our house, we just get to our yard and hear a shot! She missed again! He called in 3 jakes and she missed. They went back to their house and my son dropped a layer and we headed back for our turn. Withinin 5 mins i had them gobbling their heads off, we set up and i instantly saw movement...its a skunk! I was hoping he would move on and not get between us and the birds, didnt want to scate the stink out of him if we got a shot. He moved on and the jakes showed up, we both called and they were gobbling at everything. They were between 20 and 25 yards when i told him to shoot. Boom! Flop, his first bird on the ground. He instantly started shaking and happy tears came. Couldnt be prouder of him, he is beyond dedicated to hunting and all that the outdoors has to offer. Cant wait for the turkey dinner tonight.

20220515_070211.jpg

20220515_070325.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Went out this morning close to home with my buddy. We didn't hear anything so we decided to try a different farm. As soon as we opened the door of the truck we heard a gobble. Then heard what I assumed was a hunter calling. Well as it turns out it was 4 hunters on my property with a decoy out in my field. We just sat by the truck to see what would happen. We watched the tom out in a neighbors field with a couple hens for a while. After a bit the 4 guys left and made a move to try to get around the tom from a different side, which was where they belonged anyway. When we left the Tom had gone up a hill into a different field and wasn't moving towards them. Nice to see and hear a tom but frustrating that the neighbors can't behave. 

No birds on any of our private land . I think I should make things easier on myself and hit the state land where you can literally walk for hours and hours to find a bird ,these property lines are making it impossible to find birds.

• Like 1

Started our morning across from our house with no luck. Neighbor txtd me around 6 to ask if i was out with my son behind our house, told him nope but we were making our way back there shortly. Well he was out with his daughter and had 3 jakes going like crazy, wished him and her luck and kept trying where we were. Little back story on his daughter. Her and my son are friends, same grade and started competing with each other during their first deer season last year. She got 2 doe and he got a doe and a buck. So now she is after him for turkey season, she missed 1 tom this year so far. Back to hunting...we wait 15 more minutes and started heading back to our house, we just get to our yard and hear a shot! She missed again! He called in 3 jakes and she missed. They went back to their house and my son dropped a layer and we headed back for our turn. Withinin 5 mins i had them gobbling their heads off, we set up and i instantly saw movement...its a skunk! I was hoping he would move on and not get between us and the birds, didnt want to scate the stink out of him if we got a shot. He moved on and the jakes showed up, we both called and they were gobbling at everything. They were between 20 and 25 yards when i told him to shoot. Boom! Flop, his first bird on the ground. He instantly started shaking and happy tears came. Couldnt be prouder of him, he is beyond dedicated to hunting and all that the outdoors has to offer. Cant wait for the turkey dinner tonight.
20220515_070211.thumb.jpg.dfb3d6350d35b8d522029d145b8f5e6f.jpg
20220515_070325.thumb.jpg.ea7161cc930272410352858341d72ee8.jpg
THIS

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Your 1st sentence  does not apply to me.
 Sounds  like you have multiple  Private Lands.
 Now these Sly + Clever Public Gobblers have been hunted by some Deadly Spring Turkey Hunters.
 So far it has been an exciting Season without yet taking a Tom.
And 19th time out so far.
Cmon Billy.... I expect better from you. How you don't already have at least 1 tag punched has me considering unsubcribing from your YouTube channel.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

No birds on any of our private land . I think I should make things easier on myself and hit the state land where you can literally walk for hours and hours to find a bird ,these property lines are making it impossible to find birds.

Lest you forget "Now these Sly + Clever Public Gobblers have been hunted by some Deadly Spring Turkey Hunters."

Public is for the Big Boys.......I'll stick with the private, easy to hunt turkey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3