Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Lest you forget "Now these Sly + Clever Public Gobblers have been hunted by some Deadly Spring Turkey Hunters."

Public is for the Big Boys.......I'll stick with the private, easy to hunt turkey.

If anyone could send me the coordinates of such a dumb easy to kill private land bird it would be greatly appreciated because I can't find any here...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

totally flaked again this morning. Was ready to go, but I just don't have the drive for turkeys like I do for deer. I think it's the time of year. We had baseball from 8-1 yesterday and then I spent the rest of the day doing yard work and crashed around 8. Another full day today and the thought of being whipped just didn't get me out of bed at 4am. If I can get a nap in I usually do ok, but otherwise I find myself being shot for the day. Anyone else? With a business trip this week I just felt the sleep was more worth it. We get a new puppy on Saturday so I honestly only see maybe 1 or more hunts this year... 

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

totally flaked again this morning. Was ready to go, but I just don't have the drive for turkeys like I do for deer. I think it's the time of year. We had baseball from 8-1 yesterday and then I spent the rest of the day doing yard work and crashed around 8. Another full day today and the thought of being whipped just didn't get me out of bed at 4am. If I can get a nap in I usually do ok, but otherwise I find myself being shot for the day. Anyone else? With a business trip this week I just felt the sleep was more worth it. We get a new puppy on Saturday so I honestly only see maybe 1 or more hunts this year... 

A 3 or 3:30am alarm, usually a fair amount of walking, bugs and warm temps knocks me for the day too.   Maybe at some point I'll get the urge again but I don't have the drive lately.

• Like 2

I cant fall asleep before 11 or so, a 3am wakeup for a trip to the southern tier means the entire rest of the day is shot. Ill do it once or twice but thats it. Ill do it every day for a deer hunt though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I went for five days, illness kept me in camp the first day, but the morning of the next four was exactly the same. Sitting on the couch at 4am, getting dressed in theory, but sitting there thinking "Why am I doing this? I don't like doing this anymore but I keep doing it."

Now I'm trying to get a few more days in despite those feelings. lol  And I will no doubt have the same thoughts in the morning. "Why am I doing this?"

I've also become the worst hunter. Doing things and going places that I know won't be productive, but not really caring. Just enjoying sitting in the woods or on the edge of a field for hours. Extra bad turkey hunting. When I realize I've been out for five hours and have yet to make a call. Mostly because I just don't want to ruin the "quiet' (it's almost never quiet in the woods. I wish it were)

• Like 2

I cant fall asleep before 11 or so, a 3am wakeup for a trip to the southern tier means the entire rest of the day is shot. Ill do it once or twice but thats it. Ill do it every day for a deer hunt though

I don’t mind killing a day to hunt… just these nice spring weekends are packed to the brim with shit to do, on top of trying to be a good dad. Shits tough as many of you good dads know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Disagree. Alot like myself like to show what we have taken with a full picture of the Hunter next to the Gobbler.

As time goes on- the picture of the Gobbler becomes less important and the person or person in the pic becomes the focal point.

I understand  that many are very Bashful at revealing their Face.

In that case- I dont think the Game- Deer,Gobbler,etc should be showed at all. 

Just cheapens the picture to see " a Hand"-- " cut off Face",etc next to the Game.

If I kill a turkey, I'm going full moon with the bird for the picture. Then every time you call me an ass in the future, I'm going to post that pic over and over. :bb::rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

+1. I don’t do naps so if I Turkey hunt im shot all late afternoon. But for some reason I don’t lose energy after waking up to deer hunt before work

First day back out here since last Monday and after dedicating this past Fri, Sat, & Sun to some fishing time. All's quiet at the usual roost site only hearing spring peepers, song birds, and some distant crows so far but still feels good to be back out here. Hopefully the turkey action picks up though.

• Like 1

All of you fellas that don’t like to or want to get up early the 9-12 shift is when I’ve killed probably 3/4’s of my turkeys. After the first week or so I rarely can get myself up before daylight.

Too damned hot the past few days

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

All of you fellas that don’t like to or want to get up early the 9-12 shift is when I’ve killed probably 3/4’s of my turkeys. After the first week or so I rarely can get myself up before daylight.

The guy that lives behind my spot kills a Tom every year ( including opening day this year ) , he hits the woods around 9:00 . Well the coffees down I’m hitting the hot tub with a Yeti full, you guys have fun out there !

• Haha 1

Every day is better and better, another morning if multiple gobblers all around me, I almost wish I didn't punch my second tag...... almost.

Things I learned, be aggressive, don't be afraid of public land, always have fun and be aware of your beautiful surroundings!

If I can make a few days near the weekend I am Pennsylvania bound. Hope I never forget these days in the woods or take them for granted.

20220516_085145.jpg

20220516_055057.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Its just us Bill, the weight of the entire forum is on our shoulders!

Checking in. Here ! Decided to give something new a try. Not getting here when it’s dark. Bird opened up late other morning so mixing it up. Good luck fellas 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I’m not really feeling it this year. I only lasted two hours this morning. I’m going to wrap it up for this season.
Good luck to everyone still hunting.

Hearing birds ? Not hearing them brings ambition down fast. I get it 

9 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I’m not really feeling it this year. I only lasted two hours this morning. I’m going to wrap it up for this season.
Good luck to everyone still hunting.

It's just getting good!!!

Hearing birds ? Not hearing them brings ambition down fast. I get it 

Not a peep and I see them in my travels. I spent a lot(to much) time on two birds that where roosting on my property. They did make a sound except while roosting. On the state land not one gobble. The thing that gets me is there’s no pressure up here from other hunter’s

25 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Not a peep and I see them in my travels. I spent a lot(to much) time on two birds that where roosting on my property. They did make a sound except while roosting. On the state land not one gobble. The thing that gets me is there’s no pressure up here from other hunter’s

Some times smart birds don't gobble much. Gotta hunt sign and historical movement. It's a different type of hunting but it kills big birds.