Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

On 5/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, BizCT said:

+1. I don’t do naps so if I Turkey hunt im shot all late afternoon. But for some reason I don’t lose energy after waking up to deer hunt before work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's funny isn't it? Maybe it's that a deer wakeup is 5 to 6 and that extra hour or 2 is that much more important, but I don't feel beat for the day like I do with birds. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:54 AM, blackbeltbill said:

I know why. Because Deer for you and many here is your #1 passion.  

I'm not sure passion translates to feeling more awake. There is some merit there though. Every one of us hunts for different reasons. I actually enjoy turkey hunting more than deer hunting. The back and forth, the run n gun, the temp. But the reward of sheer volume of meat is drastically different. A dead deer is months of food, whereas a turkey is a dinner and few lunches. Again, I know we all hunt for different reasons and meat isn't everyone's #1, including me. As I type, I think it's maybe because my #1 reason for hunting is the escape. The spring is an exciting time in life. It's warm, there's stuff to do. Whereas the fall is a wind down and the escape to the woods feels more welcome? IDK, I'm rambling and it could just be this particular year with a bunch of projects that I've had going.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:30 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

All of you fellas that don’t like to or want to get up early the 9-12 shift is when I’ve killed probably 3/4’s of my turkeys. After the first week or so I rarely can get myself up before daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the small handful of birds I've killed, 2 were post 10. It's underrated for sure!

• Like 1

When a boss tom is hammering away in front of my bead/red dot, there is excitement. After the shot, it's a short burst of a fist pump or high five and then it drops off from there pretty quickly. Same type or level of experience pulling a good fish through the ice or landing one in the net.

When a good buck is behind a pin or crosshair, as soon as the release trips, my knees and legs go to jello and my heart about comes out of my chest. Just the way I am built, I guess.

Getting up early really hasn't been an issue for me, for either. The bigger factor for me is the prep that goes on the night before. Getting gear ready, wash, packing, etc. If I am behind on that, THAT can occasionally trip me up with a morning hunt, especially w/work.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Your 2nd paragraph  describes  the " Adrenaline Dump". 

It happens also  before,During,and especially  after a Physical  altercation.  If one does not know how to Channel it- it leads to a freezeup.

love when hes hooked and coming in and my grip pressure on striker goes amok from my heart racing and eyes on a swivel. When/if that feeling evers stops I'll stop hunting these stupid birds

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

love when hes hooked and coming in and my grip pressure on striker goes amok from my heart racing and eyes on a swivel. When/if that feeling evers stops I'll stop hunting these stupid birds

hell I get excited hearing a squirrel bark if I'm out with my .22. Maybe I'm easy, but I wouldn't do any of this if there wasn't excitement behind it. If that day ever comes, I'll give it all up.

• Like 2

Turkey hunting has evolved a lot for me over the years. I live a stones throw away from one of the DEC's first release areas of wild live trapped birds to establish viable breeding populations. It was a resounding success and after just  few years birds were being seen in good numbers and serious hunting for them began. I learned the basics and killed a few but can say I was not bitten by the bug. My biggest mistake was raising a flock of western Merriam wild Turkeys here on the farm and the luster of hunting the local wild birds faded away big time.

This year a thread about Turkey hunting with a double barrel stirred my interest and I thought I would get out and kill one with my classic LC Smith double. I knew there were a few around from seeing them when Deer and Squirrel hunting. Did some scouting and with some observation I found there was a small local flock frequenting my hunting ground. Best I could tell there are six hens and one Tom and I had their daily routine down pretty good. What bothered me a bit was just the single Tom, I was hoping to see some satellite opportunistic Toms or Jakes hazing those six hens. I see other Toms out in fields and crossing roads in the area so I figured sooner or later I was going to see them horning in on the local boy. Well it has not happened, day after day I am seeing the same Tom with his harem with no competition. I could have killed him several times but I keep holding out as I want those six hens to have an opportunity to mate. To make matters worse they are now coming out of the woods every day and hanging around my house LOL, shooting the Tom now would be almost the same as killing those tame Merriams I once had, Personally with the way things stand I would really not feel very good about killing him at this point so with the wife's encouragement he is getting a pass.  Believe it or not he is right outside my window gobbling now 20 yards away.

Al

2022-05-18_180622.png

2022-05-18_180702.png

2022-05-18_180902.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Turkey hunting has evolved a lot for me over the years. I live a stones throw away from one of the DEC's first release areas of wild live trapped birds to establish viable breeding populations. It was a resounding success and after just  few years birds were being seen in good numbers and serious hunting for them began. I learned the basics and killed a few but can say I was not bitten by the bug. My biggest mistake was raising a flock of western Merriam wild Turkeys here on the farm and the luster of hunting the local wild birds faded away big time.

This year a thread about Turkey hunting with a double barrel stirred my interest and I thought I would get out and kill one with my classic LC Smith double. I knew there were a few around from seeing them when Deer and Squirrel hunting. Did some scouting and with some observation I found there was a small local flock frequenting my hunting ground. Best I could tell there are six hens and one Tom and I had their daily routine down pretty good. What bothered me a bit was just the single Tom, I was hoping to see some satellite opportunistic Toms or Jakes hazing those six hens. I see other Toms out in fields and crossing roads in the area so I figured sooner or later I was going to see them horning in on the local boy. Well it has not happened, day after day I am seeing the same Tom with his harem with no competition. I could have killed him several times but I keep holding out as I want those six hens to have an opportunity to mate. To make matters worse they are now coming out of the woods every day and hanging around my house LOL, shooting the Tom now would be almost the same as killing those tame Merriams I once had, Personally with the way things stand I would really not feel very good about killing him at this point so with the wife's encouragement he is getting a pass.  Believe it or not he is right outside my window gobbling now 20 yards away.

Al

2022-05-18_180622.png

2022-05-18_180702.png

2022-05-18_180902.png

If you were to take that gobbler it's pretty much guaranteed that the hens will pick up a new boyfriend within a few days.  Don't ask me how they do it, but I have seen it several times.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jperch said:

If you were to take that gobbler it's pretty much guaranteed that the hens will pick up a new boyfriend within a few days.  Don't ask me how they do it, but I have seen it several times.

That may or may not be true but at this stage of the game I would not take much pleasure is killing this guy, there is zero challenge.

Al

2022-05-19_113839.png

• Thanks 2

The other day when Bill was doing the box call and the turkeys were hammering so hard to it . My heart was racing I started shaking lolol then they crested the hill and I miss my shot . Bill was down hill so he couldn't even get a shot in .  I love hearing them gobble like that .

• Like 3

Every other type of bird on the mountain is making a racket.  Grouse starting his engine 20 yards behind the blind, must be 30 bobolinks in this field competing to see who can be the loudest, owls only shut up 5 minutes ago, ravens are squawking, what the hell turkeys?

• Like 2

I turned off my alarm. Fug turkeys lol. Have to drive to pack my and daughters car from college later and she’s coming home. Pretty sure I’m only playing with one bird and really don’t want to kill him before Samantha gets a chance.  Someday she’ll tip one over. They’ve hung up every time over the last many years when we’re together. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I turned off my alarm. Fug turkeys lol. Have to drive to pack my and daughters car from college later and she’s coming home. Pretty sure I’m only playing with one bird and really don’t want to kill him before Samantha gets a chance.  Someday she’ll tip one over. They’ve hung up every time over the last many years when we’re together. 

I think there is just one bird at my local spot here. He hasnt gobbled my past two mornings so he may even have gotten smoked over the weekend, who knows. With the cooler weather next week I will try some mid morning

11 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Have you tried reaping with a fan? She might enjoy that! and it might be whats needed to get close.. just go slow.. Im about to try it this weekend lol 

• Like 1