Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

It’s 1 am. What am I thinking ?! Lol. Successful day of off and not hunting , moving daughter back from college , gf worked til 12:30 and I had dinner ready , alarm set for 3:59 am. Thermacell ready at the helm as 75 degrees forecast at 5 am.  Looking forward to see what God puts in front of me . 

C2D340BF-9545-4331-B16D-D3DD3E311165.jpeg

That's a wrap here too! Couple nips every day and 2 tags celebrations! Highly recommend if your looking for high test. Time to get the boat ready.

20220521_101351.jpg

I'm done chasing these birds for the season. Me 0 / Birds 7. Gas $110. I'm going north next week, and I think I'll only be taking the fishing gear.

These gas prices are making everything awful. I layed my on/off road dirtbike in the trunk/ back seat for my trip to main. Total pain in the ass but the car got 38mog and the truck gets 15. The bike probably got 60mog putting around on the logging roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

These gas prices are making everything awful. I layed my on/off road dirtbike in the trunk/ back seat for my trip to main. Total pain in the ass but the car got 38mog and the truck gets 15. The bike probably got 60mog putting around on the logging roads.

I just quit buying beer and takeout so I could do season as normal. Probably 400$ in fuel plus liscence fees and ammo for two turkeys... would do it all over again in a second.

• Like 3

I just quit buying beer and takeout so I could do season as normal. Probably 400$ in fuel plus liscence fees and ammo for two turkeys... would do it all over again in a second.

My 1200$ gas saver car I bought the week after the idiot was elected saved me at least 400$ this Turkey season alone. 2 trips to maine at 700 miles a trip + driving around when I get there plus a 400miles round trip to mass.

Those are good habits to give up and the saving are being used for much better hobbies!

Now I just wish I could find a gas saving boat! Pulling my daughter and her friends this afternoon will cost me 100$ at least!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Been a little nuts. For a deer that I'd get a decent amount of meat is one thing, a bird I'll only get maybe two meals out of is crazy.

• Like 2

Been a little nuts. For a deer that I'd get a decent amount of meat is one thing, a bird I'll only get maybe two meals out of is crazy.

I understand everyone’s disposable income is different but the second you start putting $$’s to pounds of meat, hunting will never make financial sense!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I understand everyone’s disposable income is different but the second you start putting $$’s to pounds of meat, hunting will never make financial sense!

That's not exactly what I meant. I meant with gas prices how they are driving and dropping that money was getting beyond frustrating for a little bird. I enjoy deer hunting more, so I'm a bit more willing to spend more for gas. During the Fall I really only have hunting going on, so it's easier to justify the added cost. During the Spring, I like to get out hiking more and fishing, so it came down to giving things up I didn't want to for the month of May. I don't drink anymore, so my new vice is being outdoors as much as possible. I don't plan to go north and spend touristy prices for gas to hunt a turkey.

• Like 2

That's not exactly what I meant. I meant with gas prices how they are driving and dropping that money was getting beyond frustrating for a little bird. I enjoy deer hunting more, so I'm a bit more willing to spend more for gas. During the Fall I really only have hunting going on, so it's easier to justify the added cost. During the Spring, I like to get out hiking more and fishing, so it came down to giving things up I didn't want to for the month of May. I don't drink anymore, so my new vice is being outdoors as much as possible. I don't plan to go north and spend touristy prices for gas to hunt a turkey.

I completely understand but what you meant. I’ll have over 400$ invested in gas alone between my 3 turkey hunting trips this year. I sleep in a tent, drink water from jugs and I bring most of my own food so I can travel out of state about as inexpensive as possible but 3 trips with 400$ on gas alone spent for maybe 12lbs poissbly 16 “if I can kill another bird this week in maine” of meat will never make financial sense. The enjoyment I’ve gotten out of said trips are impossible to put a price on however.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I'm done chasing these birds for the season. Me 0 / Birds 7. Gas $110. I'm going north next week, and I think I'll only be taking the fishing gear.

I am heading north next weekend too, and I am definitely taking my turkey gear.  The one year I didn’t buy tags, I heard toms gobbling on every hill surrounding the lake, when I went out fishing at sunrise each morning.   

It is really amazing how much more wildlife I hear in the early mornings up there, when I use the oars rather than my gas outboard.

If I hear gobblers Saturday morning, I will have my pop up blind, 870, 3”-#5’s, a hen decoy and two calls with me to use Sunday and Monday morning.  If I see one black fly in the woods, I will be back to the lake for the fish.  They are usually not as bad out on the water, same as the tics.  

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Some years, my venison has come in at under $ 1.00 per pound, after subtracting all input expenses.  I got pretty close to that last season.  This year is going to be tough.  The fertilizer that I used today cost more than double what I paid last year.  Hopefully, the 2 acres of RR corn that I put in today will be enough to hold some deer around till New Year’s Day.  Diesel is really crazy this year.  I am thankful that I still have an old gas tractor.  
83A2C2C3-A1DD-4DF5-8551-780EC1550248.thumb.jpeg.2f675ade2aaebc96294d711f3dafaa53.jpeg

I know that when we raised beef, pork, and chicken, it cost more than if you bought it at the store, and I didn’t like any of that as much as I do the dollar a pound venison. 

I don’t include travel expenses in my venison cost calculations, because I only get it at home, at my parents, or at my in-laws places.  We have to visit them regularly anyhow.  I can’t help it that they have decent hunting.  

• Like 1

Some years, my venison has come in at under $ 1.00 per pound, after subtracting all input expenses.  I got pretty close to that last season.  This year is going to be tough.  The fertilizer that I used today cost more than double what I paid last year.  Hopefully, the 2 acres of RR corn that I put in today will be enough to hold some deer around till New Year’s Day.  Diesel is really crazy this year.  I am thankful that I still have an old gas tractor.  
83A2C2C3-A1DD-4DF5-8551-780EC1550248.thumb.jpeg.2f675ade2aaebc96294d711f3dafaa53.jpeg
I know that when we raised beef, pork, and chicken, it cost more than if you bought it at the store, and I didn’t like any of that as much as I do the dollar a pound venison. 

I don’t include travel expenses in my venison cost calculations, because I only get it at home, at my parents, or at my in-laws places.  We have to visit them regularly anyhow.  I can’t help it that they have decent hunting.  

I’ve never figured out my $ per pound for my angus or venison, Honestly I don’t care. I enjoy killing deer and I enjoy knowing where my beef comes from. Those values cannot be calculated.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve never figured out my $ per pound for my angus or venison, Honestly I don’t care. I enjoy killing deer and I enjoy knowing where my beef comes from. Those values cannot be calculated.

If you really want them angus to taste good, you should finish them on Holstein milk.  That’s what Ike (my favorite President) did and he won lots of beef championships with his herd.  

41 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If you really want them angus to taste good, you should finish them on Holstein milk.  That’s what Ike (my favorite President) did and he won lots of beef championships with his herd.  

Stanch feed them beer and fine finish grains!

Struck those same 3 Jakes deep in the hardwood.  They didn't gobble until I was within 100 yards of them.  One of them caught me glassing him and they went deeper down the hill.  I swear they are the only 3 gobblers up here this year.

Edit:. You know it's time for a fresh ThermaCELL blue mat when:. You watch a mosquito land on the one you're using.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 3

There’s maybe 2% of people who can hunt to save money at the grocery store. For everyone else it’s a hobby and passion where the reward is usually something else with the bonus of meat.

• Like 2