Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

25 minutes ago, Belo said:

Had this visitor by the blind yesterday and on the way to pick up our new pup in Germantown passed quite a few dead doe on the side of the 90. Fawns must be dropping

741cd40ea118af53f275e1ff1b637f39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to mislabel the cam name of "Pines" to throw us off on location. Not a "pine" in sight

Next up algorithm on dates and times like growalot used to do?

And yes i know a few people seeing newborn fawns around

• Haha 3

Retardo Montalban was out in back of my house on the shooting range this morning gobbling up a storm, I put my Howard Leight hearing amplifier muffs on and listened for any distant return gobbles. Other than his harem of Hens yelping on occasion no other Toms were heard.

Al

2022-05-22_110504.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just pulled cards and this is from Friday morning about 11 30.  When I was driving around to the cameras pulling cards he was hammering away must have gobbled a dozen times.  Think I’m going to have to try the nine to noon hunt this week see if I can get him. 

8A57BA2C-2798-42A8-AED9-1A600CFB1515.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belo said:

There’s maybe 2% of people who can hunt to save money at the grocery store. For everyone else it’s a hobby and passion where the reward is usually something else with the bonus of meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will survive if I don't harvest meat, but I pride myself in feeding my family almost entirely from the outdoors. We buy some dairy, fruits, vegetables and drinks, but grow as much as we can and fill our freezer with game and fish.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I think I might need to start carrying a bigger knife when I have to go to Ravena for quick stop shopping, and maybe carry a backup.

That store is interesting.  Beemers next rust buckets.  Audis next to tri-colors.  It's a good little store to have under 10 minutes away though.

Friday was like a ghost town in the turkey woods, no birds seen or heard. Dedicated Sat and Sun to fishing and now back out in the woods this morning. All quiet in the roost sight so far. Hopefully some gobblers will end up in the area at some point. Good luck to any out there today.

• Like 2

I’m hoping to get out one last time this week before our trip. What’s the thinking on where we are along the breeding timeline? Are folks reporting no gobbling because all the hens are bred and the breeding season is coming to an end? Are Toms henned up towards the end of May? When does the 2nd turkey rut begin?

2 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I’m hoping to get out one last time this week before our trip. What’s the thinking on where we are along the breeding timeline? Are folks reporting no gobbling because all the hens are bred and the breeding season is coming to an end? Are Toms henned up towards the end of May? When does the 2nd turkey rut begin?

My buddy called one in on a string this morning. I dont think it ever stops. Wet years it lasts longer but biggest birds are still breeding. They can gobble less and come in silent but not necessarily 

• Like 2

Turkey gods shined down again yesterday..

Got setup on a known roost location.. and all was silent.. I waited until 6am since most birds lately have been very quiet. Got to a spot on a woods corner where if birds are in the fields they typically always pass this spot on their way through the property.. I get to that corner after crawling on my knees and there's a big Tom and three jakes strutting with two hens out eating in the fresh planted oat sprouts 100 yards out.. I setup into a down tree and made one soft yelp series to see if he would pay any attention and of course he didn't seem to.. So I sat watched them to see what their plan was before making my mind up, I'm in a good spot as most birds pass this corner.. well a few moments later 6 more jakes come out of the next corner and run across this field at the tom all full and half strut.. they get to him and the 9 total jakes start beating the snot out of this Tom, literally just whooping his a$$.. The Tom returning fight but is clearly out numbered.. I've seen these jakes several times now and they do seem like some territorial young punks.. They fought back and forth for 30 minutes drifting away and then back much closer.. Had them in range several times but I could never take a shot and only take 1 bird safely.. Finally they start drifting right around my corner.. the Jakes pushing the Tom right away from the hens, into my lap.. But I couldn't shoot.. These birds were on him like stink on chit.. after one last flog from a couple jakes, the tom took out away from them and quite a bit further from me, I hit him with a quick cut on a batwing diaphragm my buddy made me and he stopped and went to full strut then popped his head out .. and with it being my 2nd day out and probably last day in the woods.. I knew my pattern would wreak havoc.. at 57 steps the 20 gauge single shot with a handload  of    1-5/8oz of 8s.. tipped him over like a tea kettle.. beak straight to the plowed dirt.. no flop.. the Jake punks immediately started stomping his butt again.. they let me walk up to about 5 yards in he plowed field before they started to slowly walk away. pretty neat.   I'm Not a fan of long range shots but i knew what would happen.. Brand new shell i just put together late last week. 

Then around 730 we hit another property and got on another Tom with a hen.. made one call and they went the other direction silently.. found them about 600 yards to the south.. go around on them where we thought they were headed.. put my brother ahead and i stayed back.. Bird came in gobbling hot without his hen but i believe him and my brother made eye contact at the same time (within gun range) and the bird putted away.. OH well we can give him a break and go back after him next weekend..   I think at one point when he was silent and he was within range on our first setup, just couldn't hear or see him. as it was thick.. 

IMG_8241.jpg

IMG_8244.jpg

• Like 26

On 5/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

Way to mislabel the cam name of "Pines" to throw us off on location. Not a "pine" in sight

Next up algorithm on dates and times like growalot used to do?

And yes i know a few people seeing newborn fawns around

haha this property is old farm land. It's either orchard or very thick shit. There is a stand of pines on one section just south of this camera. The cam is setup near a field, but has some old growth and is one of the only places where it's a little open, which makes it a nice place for a blind where You can actually get some shots without having to cut shooting lanes. 

37 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Could have hunted this morning but still waiting on getting daughter out there which appears is tomorrow. Instead I’m putting this Blackstone together. 

06C3C403-FB61-4CF7-AC26-D3E78A73836D.jpeg

48533E69-2547-47C2-8D28-FE6C62B69697.jpeg

so what are we having for brunch?  What hits the griddle first?  And did you trade in the air fryer on this deal?  

Im voting for Venison trucker burgers !

Edited by Robhuntandfish

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

so what are we having for brunch?  What hits the griddle first?  And did you trade in the air fryer on this deal?  

Im voting for Venison trucker burgers !

It has a built in air fryer 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm going out tomorrow morning i dont care if i get to bed late or sleep poorly, i'm making it happen. Might be the 4th and final of the year, which would put me at the lowest number of sits since I started chasing birds 10 or so years ago. 

Ill call your home phone at 3:50AM

• Like 2