Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

7 hours ago, Nomad said:

Pro tip . Just drive down Kings Highway in Durand Eastman Park , Roch. You have a good chance to grab them and stuff into sack ,saving ammo .

1E0BCD0C-DDAA-4B24-ABDE-2D130A02931B.jpeg

88C6B485-C5B5-43E4-9659-D9385DBD1C9D.jpeg

I grabbed one a couple of years back by the neck...I thought he was nearly expired, but it turned out he had lots of life left... Going hand to hand with a 20 pound gobbler is not recommended, at least for old, out of shape guys....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Drove by the farm after the wife and I went to Hannaford. 3 long beards strutting there stuff on the edge of a newly plowed field. It was 10:45. Shotgun and camo was in the truck. Parked and left the wife to listen to music, as I went after them. Called them in to 20 yrds with two soft clucks into the pines. All three were two yr olds, as I could easily see their spurs at 20 yrds. I passed. 

I'm hoping they survive the winter and get some experience under there wing. Wife didn't understand and was rather irritated. My response, you married a hunter, what did you expect? 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Must be nice.....I've been killing gobblers since 1975 and have shot a bunch, but never passed up a two year old in my life, unless he had a bigger one coming behind him...

I've shot a ton of birds over the yrs.  Love hunting them. Love isn't there to kill.a easy bird. Not saying I wouldn't have killed a limbhanger if he decided to come in that easy, but that hasn't been my experience. At 300 plus yards, it was impossible to see their spurs. 

Same as a deer, I'll.pass on a 1.5 or 2.5 yr old. In my old age.. it's more about fooling than then killing them. 

I tried to get out on the lake before sunrise but didn’t quite make it.  I heard two distant gobbles behind the far shore, where I don’t have permission to hunt.  It looks like a wrap for my 2022 spring season unless I hear one off the near shore before I row down to the end of the lake.  If I do, I will set up on him tomorrow morning.  If I don’t, I am done.

D2F7E62B-3D9F-4F28-9BE6-DC7D477FBC24.thumb.jpeg.800d81c972417dd176096784c33ff50a.jpeg

• Like 2

Other than the turkeys, the morning action ain’t bad out on the lake.  I just heard my 3rd and fourth gobble of the morning, far off on posted land, on the far end.  A beaver has been swimming around me, smacking his tail trying to run me off.  The smallmouth have been cooperative on the Zara puppy in perch finish this morning, with 5 or 6 landed so far, the largest this 15”.

61D70203-CC6C-42A1-84F8-119ED5903B8B.thumb.jpeg.94d08b8579216c31453b8b7c7cc33119.jpeg

D8A06BFF-9C4D-437D-86EB-3B4D7CEE556B.thumb.jpeg.7c6fb3c47c6b9d8ddd9132ba13d5795c.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

To each their own for sure. I know back in 2019,I let 2 "early" May Gobblers go. One had a wrist size Limb in front of him and the 2nd- well he flew down on a angle to the ridge,I was sitting on. Both easy shots if,I wanted them- but since it was very early May,I let them walk. Most Guys with less then 15 Springs under their belt would have blasted away however.

I think what Dan was trying to relate is about the Time period  we are in. Only a few days left. If you have 1 tag left " or" 2 and 3 Longbeards are in range-- well...

Is this your Private Land? That would explain more.

A Turkey Hunter on njwoodsandwaters wrote- none of us are guaranteed  another Spring. Make your decisions  well.

I remember  an article  in Turkey + Turkey Hunting-- I have both the premier 1991 mag and the last one in major circulation around 2014.--

-- Ray Eye happened to be Turkey Hunting with Allen Jenkins. Jenkins saw 2 or 3 Gobblers and put his Binocs up and told Eye-- They Look like 2 Year Olds.

Eye said- Soooooooo.

To each their own.

I know,I have also let a good 5 or so Gobblers go that,I found myself under. 

Could have Rolled them easily. Already have takin a good 4 like that early on. Just too easy for me now.

Also let a good 5 or so Tom's go that were walking directly away from me. Just can't  shoot a Turkey in the back of the head. Personal thing is all. 

Going out with Cynthia again this morning. She gets first shot or only shot. I have takin enough for 3 Men.

Now if " 2" show up or a Trailing Jake-  well,I am in the Jake Wingbone making mood today and some less fibrous meat.

If I live to see another spring turkey season, I'll cherish that one as I did this one.  

Not saying I'll never shoot another 2 yr old, but yesterday I was more than happy to watch the show and listen to the music. 

• Like 1

Must be nice.....I've been killing gobblers since 1975 and have shot a bunch, but never passed up a two year old in my life, unless he had a bigger one coming behind him...

I’ve let some pretty nice bucks go in my life for a variety of reasons but I don’t think I ever have or ever will let a 2yr old turkey go! If he’s got a full fan and a beard he’s plenty good enough for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

On my row back towards the dock, I heard what sounded like a horny gobbler going off repeatedly on the good side so I am back in the woods now.   I set up my decoy in a relatively clear spot in the area and let out a series of yelps.  No response yet.

The Repel tick and mosquito reppellant is holding the bugs off ok for now .  I will give this an hour or so, then get back to fishing.

8AC00EF2-1466-49A9-9E2E-57AEAB5898BA.thumb.jpeg.8d5003fd5253bc6c93d6b527771e3ce2.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

No sounds or signs of any turkeys in the woods, so I pulled the plug on that after 45 minutes.  A nice sw wind is picking up, which should get the big bass fired up, so I am heading back out on the lake in search of that elusive 22” plus  smallmouth for the wall. 
71ED5225-AB66-4811-94A3-5B7E9364CAB0.thumb.jpeg.be02add988b2e03ce81c2a112aafcf74.jpeg

Took my son on a 1 day run and gun mission in PA yesterday. Saw an absolute pile of turkeys but they just wouldn't cooperate. Son stuck it out and put in the time and the miles, but we couldn't make it happen. Out of the 50 birds we saw we heard only a few gobbles and only 1 bird strutted. Great times, memories made ! I'm certain we will be back there again.

I will say this, I had one of the best turkey hunters I know leading us around AND we had access to almost 10,000 acres of PRIVATE land and no success. Careful when you say private birds are easy......

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

120acbec62c5c59d5f24e93306eb31a5.jpg

• Like 12

Over a period of more than 50 years, I have hunted turkeys in six states and one Canadian Province...

I have hunted private land, state land, Crown land, National Forest Land, and State Park Land....

Turkeys are turkeys wherever you hunt them...A few come easy, but you have to work for most of them, public or private..

All  I can say to the people who  claim that private land gobblers are easy, is come up to where I hunt and see how well you do  on these poor ignorant turkeys...

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Over a period of more than 50 years, I have hunted turkeys in six states and one Canadian Province...
I have hunted private land, state land, Crown land, National Forest Land, and State Park Land....
Turkeys are turkeys wherever you hunt them...A few come easy, but you have to work for most of them, public or private..
All  I can say to the people who  claim that private land gobblers are easy, is come up to where I hunt and see how well you do  on these poor ignorant turkeys...

I would not want to be a turkey on land you have permission on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not 100% certain, but I think I just watched a doe give birth.  Heard some soft grunts, then a sound like something dropping into the leaves, then a fawn bawling.  All about 100 yards away, tiny tiny little fawn following mama.  She's licking him, lot of grunting.  Either way I'm standing guard for a bit.

• Like 11

Anyone who claims that are ignorant and hasn’t done it. Anyone who has done it knows that!

• Like 1

Had one sound off at 8, at least a few hundred yards away, answered, been quiet for at least 10 now.  I was just taking a break in the blind after a long walk.  Unfortunately I have to GTFO by 9 to go home and take the kids to a parade.  Only heard 1 Gobbling, so maybe it's not those Jakes.  I'll give it 20 then I gotta start walking.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

Took my son on a 1 day run and gun mission in PA yesterday. Saw an absolute pile of turkeys but they just wouldn't cooperate. Son stuck it out and put in the time and the miles, but we couldn't make it happen. Out of the 50 birds we saw we heard only a few gobbles and only 1 bird strutted. Great times, memories made ! I'm certain we will be back there again.

I will say this, I had one of the best turkey hunters I know leading us around AND we had access to almost 10,000 acres of PRIVATE land and no success. Careful when you say private birds are easy......

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

120acbec62c5c59d5f24e93306eb31a5.jpg

Amazing picture!!!

• Like 4