Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

I am hoping Bill is right, I don't need any sly turkeys here. I'm on private land looking for a stuuuuuupid tom to walk in front of my gun.  So far a beautiful am .

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Your 1st sentence  does not apply to me.

Sounds  like you have multiple  Private Lands.

Now these Sly + Clever Public Gobblers have been hunted by some Deadly Spring Turkey Hunters.

So far it has been an exciting Season without yet taking a Tom.

And 19th time out so far.

This year I have hunted mostly public. Only 2 days private. It makes a difference for me. I'm driving 600 miles a week and hiking every afternoon looking for sign that silent birds make. 13 days in for me, NY only so far. If I'm lucky enough to fill 2nd tag I'll try Pennsylvania.  Scouting ast week of April was really key for me.

• Like 3

Started our morning across from our house with no luck. Neighbor txtd me around 6 to ask if i was out with my son behind our house, told him nope but we were making our way back there shortly. Well he was out with his daughter and had 3 jakes going like crazy, wished him and her luck and kept trying where we were. Little back story on his daughter. Her and my son are friends, same grade and started competing with each other during their first deer season last year. She got 2 doe and he got a doe and a buck. So now she is after him for turkey season, she missed 1 tom this year so far. Back to hunting...we wait 15 more minutes and started heading back to our house, we just get to our yard and hear a shot! She missed again! He called in 3 jakes and she missed. They went back to their house and my son dropped a layer and we headed back for our turn. Withinin 5 mins i had them gobbling their heads off, we set up and i instantly saw movement...its a skunk! I was hoping he would move on and not get between us and the birds, didnt want to scate the stink out of him if we got a shot. He moved on and the jakes showed up, we both called and they were gobbling at everything. They were between 20 and 25 yards when i told him to shoot. Boom! Flop, his first bird on the ground. He instantly started shaking and happy tears came. Couldnt be prouder of him, he is beyond dedicated to hunting and all that the outdoors has to offer. Cant wait for the turkey dinner tonight.

20220515_070211.jpg

20220515_070325.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Went out this morning close to home with my buddy. We didn't hear anything so we decided to try a different farm. As soon as we opened the door of the truck we heard a gobble. Then heard what I assumed was a hunter calling. Well as it turns out it was 4 hunters on my property with a decoy out in my field. We just sat by the truck to see what would happen. We watched the tom out in a neighbors field with a couple hens for a while. After a bit the 4 guys left and made a move to try to get around the tom from a different side, which was where they belonged anyway. When we left the Tom had gone up a hill into a different field and wasn't moving towards them. Nice to see and hear a tom but frustrating that the neighbors can't behave. 

No birds on any of our private land . I think I should make things easier on myself and hit the state land where you can literally walk for hours and hours to find a bird ,these property lines are making it impossible to find birds.

• Like 1

Started our morning across from our house with no luck. Neighbor txtd me around 6 to ask if i was out with my son behind our house, told him nope but we were making our way back there shortly. Well he was out with his daughter and had 3 jakes going like crazy, wished him and her luck and kept trying where we were. Little back story on his daughter. Her and my son are friends, same grade and started competing with each other during their first deer season last year. She got 2 doe and he got a doe and a buck. So now she is after him for turkey season, she missed 1 tom this year so far. Back to hunting...we wait 15 more minutes and started heading back to our house, we just get to our yard and hear a shot! She missed again! He called in 3 jakes and she missed. They went back to their house and my son dropped a layer and we headed back for our turn. Withinin 5 mins i had them gobbling their heads off, we set up and i instantly saw movement...its a skunk! I was hoping he would move on and not get between us and the birds, didnt want to scate the stink out of him if we got a shot. He moved on and the jakes showed up, we both called and they were gobbling at everything. They were between 20 and 25 yards when i told him to shoot. Boom! Flop, his first bird on the ground. He instantly started shaking and happy tears came. Couldnt be prouder of him, he is beyond dedicated to hunting and all that the outdoors has to offer. Cant wait for the turkey dinner tonight.
20220515_070211.thumb.jpg.dfb3d6350d35b8d522029d145b8f5e6f.jpg
20220515_070325.thumb.jpg.ea7161cc930272410352858341d72ee8.jpg
THIS

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Your 1st sentence  does not apply to me.
 Sounds  like you have multiple  Private Lands.
 Now these Sly + Clever Public Gobblers have been hunted by some Deadly Spring Turkey Hunters.
 So far it has been an exciting Season without yet taking a Tom.
And 19th time out so far.
Cmon Billy.... I expect better from you. How you don't already have at least 1 tag punched has me considering unsubcribing from your YouTube channel.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

No birds on any of our private land . I think I should make things easier on myself and hit the state land where you can literally walk for hours and hours to find a bird ,these property lines are making it impossible to find birds.

Lest you forget "Now these Sly + Clever Public Gobblers have been hunted by some Deadly Spring Turkey Hunters."

Public is for the Big Boys.......I'll stick with the private, easy to hunt turkey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

This year I have hunted mostly public. Only 2 days private. It makes a difference for me. I'm driving 600 miles a week and hiking every afternoon looking for sign that silent birds make. 13 days in for me, NY only so far. If I'm lucky enough to fill 2nd tag I'll try Pennsylvania.  Scouting ast week of April was really key for me.

600 a week.  Alot of driving. I am watching every Dime and gallon of gas-lol. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Lest you forget "Now these Sly + Clever Public Gobblers have been hunted by some Deadly Spring Turkey Hunters."

Public is for the Big Boys.......I'll stick with the private, easy to hunt turkey.

If anyone could send me the coordinates of such a dumb easy to kill private land bird it would be greatly appreciated because I can't find any here...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Yup-- Public is the way to go

totally flaked again this morning. Was ready to go, but I just don't have the drive for turkeys like I do for deer. I think it's the time of year. We had baseball from 8-1 yesterday and then I spent the rest of the day doing yard work and crashed around 8. Another full day today and the thought of being whipped just didn't get me out of bed at 4am. If I can get a nap in I usually do ok, but otherwise I find myself being shot for the day. Anyone else? With a business trip this week I just felt the sleep was more worth it. We get a new puppy on Saturday so I honestly only see maybe 1 or more hunts this year... 

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

totally flaked again this morning. Was ready to go, but I just don't have the drive for turkeys like I do for deer. I think it's the time of year. We had baseball from 8-1 yesterday and then I spent the rest of the day doing yard work and crashed around 8. Another full day today and the thought of being whipped just didn't get me out of bed at 4am. If I can get a nap in I usually do ok, but otherwise I find myself being shot for the day. Anyone else? With a business trip this week I just felt the sleep was more worth it. We get a new puppy on Saturday so I honestly only see maybe 1 or more hunts this year... 

A 3 or 3:30am alarm, usually a fair amount of walking, bugs and warm temps knocks me for the day too.   Maybe at some point I'll get the urge again but I don't have the drive lately.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Larry,I have been waiting for your Picture and Gobbler. Soon though,I am sure.

I cant fall asleep before 11 or so, a 3am wakeup for a trip to the southern tier means the entire rest of the day is shot. Ill do it once or twice but thats it. Ill do it every day for a deer hunt though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I went for five days, illness kept me in camp the first day, but the morning of the next four was exactly the same. Sitting on the couch at 4am, getting dressed in theory, but sitting there thinking "Why am I doing this? I don't like doing this anymore but I keep doing it."

Now I'm trying to get a few more days in despite those feelings. lol  And I will no doubt have the same thoughts in the morning. "Why am I doing this?"

I've also become the worst hunter. Doing things and going places that I know won't be productive, but not really caring. Just enjoying sitting in the woods or on the edge of a field for hours. Extra bad turkey hunting. When I realize I've been out for five hours and have yet to make a call. Mostly because I just don't want to ruin the "quiet' (it's almost never quiet in the woods. I wish it were)

• Like 2

I cant fall asleep before 11 or so, a 3am wakeup for a trip to the southern tier means the entire rest of the day is shot. Ill do it once or twice but thats it. Ill do it every day for a deer hunt though

I don’t mind killing a day to hunt… just these nice spring weekends are packed to the brim with shit to do, on top of trying to be a good dad. Shits tough as many of you good dads know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

Social media pictures are the devil!!! It's about the hunt not the kill!

Disagree. Alot like myself like to show what we have taken with a full picture of the Hunter next to the Gobbler.

As time goes on- the picture of the Gobbler becomes less important and the person or person in the pic becomes the focal point.

I understand  that many are very Bashful at revealing their Face.

In that case- I dont think the Game- Deer,Gobbler,etc should be showed at all. 

Just cheapens the picture to see " a Hand"-- " cut off Face",etc next to the Game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Disagree. Alot like myself like to show what we have taken with a full picture of the Hunter next to the Gobbler.

As time goes on- the picture of the Gobbler becomes less important and the person or person in the pic becomes the focal point.

I understand  that many are very Bashful at revealing their Face.

In that case- I dont think the Game- Deer,Gobbler,etc should be showed at all. 

Just cheapens the picture to see " a Hand"-- " cut off Face",etc next to the Game.

If I kill a turkey, I'm going full moon with the bird for the picture. Then every time you call me an ass in the future, I'm going to post that pic over and over. :bb::rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

+1. I don’t do naps so if I Turkey hunt im shot all late afternoon. But for some reason I don’t lose energy after waking up to deer hunt before work

2 hours ago, BizCT said:

+1. I don’t do naps so if I Turkey hunt im shot all late afternoon. But for some reason I don’t lose energy after waking up to deer hunt before work

I know why. Because Deer for you and many here is your #1 passion.  

First day back out here since last Monday and after dedicating this past Fri, Sat, & Sun to some fishing time. All's quiet at the usual roost site only hearing spring peepers, song birds, and some distant crows so far but still feels good to be back out here. Hopefully the turkey action picks up though.

• Like 1

All of you fellas that don’t like to or want to get up early the 9-12 shift is when I’ve killed probably 3/4’s of my turkeys. After the first week or so I rarely can get myself up before daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4