Shotguns..

Robhuntandfish

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

If he wants to spend money and like how a gunnlooks and feels the browning bps is a great all around shotgun,

if he wants range and tight patterns in a heavier platform the mosberg 835 is by far the best turkey goose gun , that you don't mind knocking around and picking up out of the mud.

I sold my BPS. Like an idiot

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I would love to say Remington 870 or V3 in 12ga but I can’t they haven’t been running long enough to know how the quality/workmanship or warranty will be so I would avoid them at all costs. Mossberg 500 or bennelli nova. I would avoid the cheap under Turkish semis! Lowest priced semi I would consider would be the stoeger M3000 or cz 1012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy once, cry once. Spend the money on a good semi and you'll never wish you had a pump again. No issues shooting whatever you want through it, just swap chokes. I've shot everything from low brass shot to 3" buckshot for coyotes and my SX3 cycles it all. Spending $1400 on a shotgun that'll last forever is a pretty great deal. Easier on recoil, faster follow ups.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rack Attack said:

He should be buying this, even comes with some ammo.

That gun is gone. I sold it and got my AR stock. Now, I just have to figure out what to do with the ammo as it wasn't part of the deal I made. Maybe trade it to my neighbor for a few boxes of .223.

As for recoil, it's just part of the game with some calibers/gauges, so if I buy a gun that thumps, I live with it. The 12GA I just let go kicked less than both of the 20GA's I own. The older I get, the less I like a lot of recoil, but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying and using a gun. A 12GA with 2 3/4" #5 will kill a turkey just as dead as a 3 1/2" shell will. Has anyone asked a turkey how they feel about this whole thing? I bet they don't know the difference from 15 pellets in the head from a 2 3/4" or a 3 1/2" shell.

22 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would love to say Remington 870 or V3 in 12ga but I can’t they haven’t been running long enough to know how the quality/workmanship or warranty will be so I would avoid them at all costs. Mossberg 500 or bennelli nova. I would avoid the cheap under Turkish semis! Lowest priced semi I would consider would be the stoeger M3000 or cz 1012.

I really like my m3500 so far.

Speaking of which:. Red Dot scope users, what do these bring to the table?  The m3500 only has a single bead in the front, so I'm very seriously considering either a vortex venom or a Leupold Deltapoint pro.  

My real question is:. If I have the shotgun turned slightly, the red dot also moves too?  I've never used one, but I assume that's whole point!  So while the bead on the end of the barrel might be on the gobblers head, in actuality 8m aiming slightly off, the red dot will show that?

Just now, UpStateRedNeck said:

I really like my m3500 so far.

Speaking of which:. Red Dot scope users, what do these bring to the table?  The m3500 only has a single bead in the front, so I'm very seriously considering either a vortex venom or a Leupold Deltapoint pro.  

My real question is:. If I have the shotgun turned slightly, the red dot also moves too?  I've never used one, but I assume that's whole point!  So while the bead on the end of the barrel might be on the gobblers head, in actuality 8m aiming slightly off, the red dot will show that?

A quality red dot shoots the red point where you are aiming. After you have it installed on your gun you can see the angle that your talking about and basically the dot disappears if your at bad angle. Bead on the end of the barrel never runs out if batteries and could be accurate for a long ways, I have shot slugs into a pie plate at neat 100yds with just a bead.

32 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

A quality red dot shoots the red point where you are aiming. After you have it installed on your gun you can see the angle that your talking about and basically the dot disappears if your at bad angle. Bead on the end of the barrel never runs out if batteries and could be accurate for a long ways, I have shot slugs into a pie plate at neat 100yds with just a bead.

I get it, I really do.  I'm sure some cool cucumbers who don't make dumb mistakes in the heat of the moment, always line up he barrel properly no matter the angle/position would never need this.  I know myself well enough that I get fired up and still make mistakes.  Anything I can do to minimize that is helpful from my end.

I've been reading reviews online, was just hoping for some feedback from members *cough* @Buckmaster7600 *cough* as to the efficacy of these.  Maybe something about what Leupold brings to the table that Vortex doesn't?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I get it, I really do.  I'm sure some cool cucumbers who don't make dumb mistakes in the heat of the moment, always line up he barrel properly no matter the angle/position would never need this.  I know myself well enough that I get fired up and still make mistakes.  Anything I can do to minimize that is helpful from my end.

I've been reading reviews online, was just hoping for some feedback from members *cough* @Buckmaster7600 *cough* as to the efficacy of these.  Maybe something about what Leupold brings to the table that Vortex doesn't?

I have shot a few of them and I get it. It's still a sight but if used properly will work great. P.S. if your not getting excited your doing something wrong!!!!

• Like 1

I was thumbing through the American hunter magazine and saw an ad for the new mossberg 940 turkey pro . Msrp is 1100 so maybe a little less in stores. I talked to some guys that didn't like the receiver being machined to accept the rail insert for optics ,I believe one member called it the mathews bow of the shot gun world

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I was thumbing through the American hunter magazine and saw an ad for the new mossberg 940 turkey pro . Msrp is 1100 so maybe a little less in stores. I talked to some guys that didn't like the receiver being machined to accept the rail insert for optics ,I believe one member called it the mathews bow of the shot gun world

"Machined to accept their site", sounds like an astute observation. How many harmonic dampeners are included?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I had a burris fast fire 3 red dot on my turkey gun.   Last time I sighted in with 3.5" heavy, the recoil killed the red dot.  That gun was kicking!  I need to send it in for a new one (lifetime guarantee), but I would be cautious if you have a heavy recoiling shotgun.  Matter of fact, if you want to buy mine cheap and send it in for a new one, I will cut you a deal.  

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/fastfire-series/fastfire-3

On 3/23/2022 at 9:38 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would love to say Remington 870 or V3 in 12ga but I can’t they haven’t been running long enough to know how the quality/workmanship or warranty will be so I would avoid them at all costs. 

I own several shotguns and my "main" use 870 (12 ga.) was made in Illion in the early 80's; it has a great fit and finish from that manufacturing era. Shop around and also ensure that you get a shotgun that correctly fits your body frame. That is an often overlooked fact, we all tend to shop price, brand and fail to realize that this gun will be shouldered in many different seasons and situations...there is also nothing wrong with a nice used shotgun.

Happy shopping, it's part of the fun.... 

Edited by Salmon_Run
correction

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I had a burris fast fire 3 red dot on my turkey gun.   Last time I sighted in with 3.5" heavy, the recoil killed the red dot.  That gun was kicking!  I need to send it in for a new one (lifetime guarantee), but I would be cautious if you have a heavy recoiling shotgun.  Matter of fact, if you want to buy mine cheap and send it in for a new one, I will cut you a deal.  

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/fastfire-series/fastfire-3

That's a good point.  Will any of these optics hold up to 3.5" shells?

You have a semi or a pump, Moog?

That's a good point.  Will any of these optics hold up to 3.5" shells?
You have a semi or a pump, Moog?

A leupold or trijicon will stand up to anything. That’s why they’re double what the others cost. I would put aim point in that group as well but they cost even more yet.

The vortex venom is a nice optic but there’s a reason when ever you hear vortex brought up someone mentions how good their warranty is. I would put them in the same class as the ff2 or 3 haven’t looked at a 4 yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

A leupold or trijicon will stand up to anything. That’s why they’re double what the others cost. I would put aim point in that group as well but they cost even more yet.

The vortex venom is a nice optic but there’s a reason when ever you hear vortex brought up someone mentions how good their warranty is. I would put them in the same class as the ff2 or 3 haven’t looked at a 4 yet.

Well, that about puts it over the top.  It's only 200$ more.  Further question, since you've actually mounted one:
I need the Picatinny rail AND mounting attachment, correct?  

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016938323

Well, that about puts it over the top.  It's only 200$ more.  Further question, since you've actually mounted one:
I need the Picatinny rail AND mounting attachment, correct?  
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016938323

Don’t do a rail, puts the optic too high. I use mounts made by sumtoy.com his website sucks you have to call him. Never used these but same idea and half the price https://www.egwguns.com/pistol-and-red-dot-mounts/deltapoint-pro-fits-shield-rms-rmsc-sms-jpoint-redfield-accelerator-and-optima-for-universal-670-radius

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Don’t do a rail, puts the optic too high. I use mounts made by sumtoy.com his website sucks you have to call him. Never used these but same idea and half the price https://www.egwguns.com/pistol-and-red-dot-mounts/deltapoint-pro-fits-shield-rms-rmsc-sms-jpoint-redfield-accelerator-and-optima-for-universal-670-radius

That was exactly what I was worried about, I signed up to be notified when those come back in stock, thanks man!