Took my new Encore out to the range...

WNYBuckHunter

I finally mounted my scope correctly on my new Encore, so I picked up the rest of the supplies I needed and headed out to the range with it the other day. It was my first time shooting it, and my first time using Blackhorn 209 powder, which I decided to use after reading the rave reviews about it on here. From what I read, it has been touted to be the cleanest burning, fastest shooting, most consistent type of powder out there, so I was very interested to see what it would do. I even brought along some 777 that I was giving to a friend and figured I could compare it to the BH209 as well.

Once I got there, I got all of my stuff setup and put a target up at 50 yards, just to get the gun on paper. My friend arrived and setup his lead sled so that we knew everything would be consistent with the gun itself. The load I decided to work with was 70 grains of BH209 (100 measurement in BH209 cylinder), with a Federal shotgun primer and a 250 grain TC Shockwave. 4 or 5 shots later, it was close enough, so I put a new target out at 100. 2 shots later, we had it just about dialed in at 1 1/2" high. I took 1 shot with a dirty barrel just to see what would happen with the BH209, and it shot about 3 inches low. Cleaned the barrel again for the next shot, and it shot right back within an inch or so of where it was the last shot from a clean barrel. Now I know what it will do if I need a second shot while hunting. After that last shot, I cleaned the barrel and kept the patches, as I wanted to compare how dirty the BH209 was vs the 777.

I loaded up a round of 2 777 pellets with the same primers and bullet and shot at the 100 yard target exactly how I had it set with the BH209 load. The very first thing we noticed was the amount of smoke. With the BH209, there really wasnt a ton of smoke, and what smoke there was, dissipated quickly. With the 777, we got the typical, large, thick smoke cloud that took a few seconds to dissipate. The next thing we noticed, was where the round hit, about 3 inches lower than the 2 shot group from the BH209 loads and clean barrels. It was also a bit left, not sure why though. I took the breach plug out and ran a patch through it, same as I did with the BH209, and set it aside. We put everything away and compared the patches. While the BH209 patch is slightly less dirty, I wouldnt say it was a huge difference. Here are the patches for comparison, the one on the top is the 777 patch...

2012-05-16_20-34-27_836.jpg

Here is a pic of the target, the two shots above the bullseye is my 2 shot group with a clean barrel for each and the BH 209 load. The one just below and left is the BH209 dirty barrel shot, and the one to the left of that, in the black area, is the clean barrel 777 shot. The one thats way left was my first at 100, when we were dialing it in.

2012-05-18_06-31-26_858.jpg

Im pretty happy with the 2 shot group, and think that with a little fine tuning of the load, should be able to put some nice groups together. I am going to stick with the BH209 for the sole reason that it doesnt smoke as much, and will be easier to see the reaction of the animal.

BTW, if the target pic is rotated, the top of the target will be on the right side of the pic. Not sure why its doing that.

Same, but BH209 is progressive burning. So, the difference in my opinion would be larger if you compared three 50 gr pellets vs. the eq. in BH209 than two 50 gr. pellets vs. eq. in BH209.

I compared 100 Grains of 777 to the equivalent of 209 (70 grains). I should try the 150 to equivalent load sometime.

I've shot a couple jugs of 209 in my TC Triumph - find that it really starts to shine between 100 to 120gr. I have shot as many as 15 shots with no patching with no difference (other then 1st from a completely clean barrel) in accuracy or loading. For hunting, I'll pop a couple primers to clear any oil, then a squib load of 30 gr with a patch only. Load powder and sabot and then run a couple dry patches. This puts the 1st shot right in the rest. I've left it loaded as long as three weeks and never hard an issue with firing, accuracy or corrosion. I am careful not to bring it into a warm place after being out and always have the muzzle covered.

Also get an 1/8" drill bit to keep the breech plug free from primer fouling.

Edited by SteveB

Not cleaner, but will start having a significant increase in velocity over a similar T7 - not sure what the comparable T7 pellet load will be. For me the BH cleans faster and there has been no corrosive issues with the way I use it above. I use the Montana Extreme cowboy blend for cleaning and their bore conditioner. After using the bore conditioner for awhile, it seems to clean even easier. And I use the CCI magnum primers - one of the hottest and BH likes a hot primer.

WNY I was reading and got a bit confused. Are you measuring the loads in a measure? If so are you measuring out 70 grains in the measure? I only ask because the 70 grain load mentioned by BH 209 id a weighed charge of 70 grains = 100 by volume. If you are only measuring 70 grains, you are only shooting 70 grains. That will work well, but your down range will be limited. Forgive me if I am confused.

ok makes sense. I weigh all of mine on my lyman dps. I just did not want you thinking 70 by volume was 70 by weight which is 100 grains. Good shooting by the way. Nothing like an encore. And IMHO which is based on about 35 years of muzzleloading, BH 209 is all they which includes me is all we claim it to be. I use 100 grains in my 45 encore with a 40 cal 200 grain xtp in a harvestor sabot. Deadly accurate as well as deadly on deer. You will be hooked I am sure.

Edited by bubba

My heads spinning after reading this.... LOL

For me... I'm going to measure one of the volume loads on a grain scale... get a "base #", then start working the loads up and down by 5 grains on my scale to find the right load for my gun.. then put it back into a volume measured tube and mark it accordingly for ease of use... BH209 requires a regular 209 primer and 777 requires a reduced charge primer like the Winchester 777 primer... I believe that was brought up before...