I may of s**t myself

Swamp_bucks

Sounds exhilarating. I keep thinking I'll see one in CT soon. My nextdoor app and ring app have nearby people with lots of recent bear pics coming out of hibernation. My backwoods are filled with blowdowns. There has to be one closeby.

Awesome story! I know the heart pounding feeling as I had a similar experience about 6 years ago. I was walking up out of the river bottom here in the park when I looked up to see a cub climbing up a tree 15 yards in front of me. I was fumbling to get a picture and watching for mother when she appeared about 40 yards away in the brush. I turned around and started walking in the opposite direction as fast as I could without running. My heart was pounding for quite a while. It was a great experience.

Edited by genesee_mohican
To correct spelling.

23 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Wow,glad.you are ok. I don't care to see a bear in the woods and can't even imagine what it would be like to be that close. 

You had better stop that scouting business @Swamp_bucks.

That’s what my wife said also but that’s not going to happen.  I’m going to finish scouting that piece just going to be taking some protection next time.  Also need to set some cameras up.  I’ll just be making a wide walk around that den.

There’s a big buck living in that swamp somewhere and I want to find his bed. I’ve found a bunch of his rubs and they are all hip to chest high.   

I'm always carrying. I don't care what season it is . I have had way to many run ins with bears in the last 10 years . Smallest  I carry is glock 21 . I mostly carry my 45 colt with heavy for hard cast bullets . I have had bears tracking me through the woods 3 different times . One was injured and limping hard . We think he was hit by a car . I confronted him and he ran off only to come back in behind me . 3 other guys on the lease had similar experiences. He was eventually found dead during muzzleloader season .

Its a pucker moment for sure when you realize your being hunted by a predator that has you by over 100 lbs and all you have is a stick and string .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

"Can you just get bear spray or is it illegal in ny"

You can get "self protection" sprays which are limited in size and potency.  Some of these are actually labelled bear sprays but really what you would be doing is really upsetting a bear at close range.

The types of bear sprays that actually work aren't allowed in NY.  But they aren't necessary for our black bears

From USA Today

In New York, there was a fatal attack in 2002, when a young male bear killed an infant in the Catskills, DEC Region 3 Wildlife Manager Ted Kerpez said. Six other people have been injured during the last 26 years; in almost every case, it was due to people chasing or trying to take food or a cub from a bear, he said.

I did a quick google search and it does seem to be illegal to have large quantities of bear spray in your possession in NY.  Apparently "bear spray" is differentiated from "self defense" spray by the quantity and concentration of the Capsaicin.  The same search showed a statement from the DEC that said there was no DEC policy against bear spray when used for its intended purpose.  Of course, that does not trump state law.  With that said, I saw bear spray for sale in a big box store in Rochester a few weeks ago.  I guess I won't name the store.  (It was true bear spray, large, concentrated canisters, I think 2 for around $40.)  Of course, the same stores sell deer bait and its' use is not legal in NY either.  Your mileage may vary.  Luckily, I have only seen one bear in all my times in the woods so I have no need of bear spray.  He/she smelled me from 100 yards away and ran like hell.  Man, they can really cover some ground!

12 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

That’s what my wife said also but that’s not going to happen.  I’m going to finish scouting that piece just going to be taking some protection next time.  Also need to set some cameras up.  I’ll just be making a wide walk around that den.

There’s a big buck living in that swamp somewhere and I want to find his bed. I’ve found a bunch of his rubs and they are all hip to chest high.   

I was kidding,I knew especially after last year's success that you won't be giving up on scouting hard. Good luck with this year's target and avoid those bears!

• Like 1

I was working for Cornell one summer between junior and senior years of college, living at the fish hatchery inside the Adirondack League Club. I was coming home one Friday night from an evening where I'd had a couple drinks at the local tavern...my ride dropped me off at the club gate, where I had a moped parked to get back into the hatchery, which was a couple miles from the gate...and I dumped it trying to avoid a bear in the dirt road. 

You can imagine twenty years old, buzzed, a couple miles back in on a private road with absolutely no one else around at midnight - oh, and there had been a report of a coyote attacking a bear a few days prior, which they chalked up to rabies - so now I'm wondering if I've got a rabid bear looking to go Cujo on my a$$. 

I'm glad I didn't have bear spray. I probably would have lit myself up. Stupid kid lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I’m going to finish scouting that piece just going to be taking some protection next time.  

While the odds are small your tale proves that some potential bad things can happen and it is wise to be prepared, man or beast you never can tell what kind of situation you can run into alone in the woods. I carry a Charter Arms Target Bulldog 44 special revolver when wandering the woods, it is light, compact, powerful and importantly reliable.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1