Suggestions for New Orleans

Otto

My wife and I are going on a long car ride, eventually going as far as New Orleans.  I’ve been a couple of times, she has not.  I’d like to hear any suggestions on places to eat, things to do, go see or whatever.  I have a couple of things lined up….Brunch at Commanders Palace, breakfast at Cafe du Monde, French Quarter, etc.  

Other points we are going to are Gettysburg, PA, Asheville, NC (Biltomore Estate), Cherokee, NC (Smoky Mt National Park), Orange Beach, AL, then Nola, then headed home, probably stopping in a couple places on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.   

Great restaurants, favorite bars, fun museums or tours all work for us.  Going to try to relax a little even thought there will be lots of driving.  

• Like 4

Never been to New Orleans but there are a few places on the way that are very good. Hit O’roark’s in Gettysburg for some corn beef and cabbage for sure.

If you drive thru Pasquagula MS, hit Bozos seafood,  Felix’s fish camp in Mobile AL is very good also.  

• Like 1

The USS Alabama museum in Mobile is pretty cool and relatively cheap.   They have an SR-71 jet in the hanger section there, that I always wanted to see up close, and finally got the chance.  As far as the government admits, that is still the fastest plane ever made.

The Alabama battleship itself is ok, but the lower decks were not yet open to the public when I last saw it, a couple years ago.  Work was in progress though, so maybe they are now.

They have weapons and weapons platforms from all branches of the service on display there, mostly US stuff, but also some foreign.  

• Like 2

Avoid Bourbon St. like the plague, obviously. Unless you like the smell of pee and vomit. I'd head South myself and explore the river delta. Lots of cool stuff going on down toward Venice, and some excellent bass fishing as well. We ran into Jimmy Houston and Roland Martin when we were there in December. True gentlemen, both of them, offering pics to those so inclined...we saw them fishing the pilings near the shrimp boat fleet later in the day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, knehrke said:

Avoid Bourbon St. like the plague, obviously. Unless you like the smell of pee and vomit.

We stayed next to Jackson Square, just a block or two from Bourbon St. There were things going on in Jackson Square every day (music, art, crafts, etc...). There's a nice walking path along the river. We hit Bourbon St mainly during the day. You are 100% correct though that it smells like puke and piss!! They were out every morning hosing the sidewalk and street off, but it still stunk!! Sure is an "interesting" crowd at night! Didn't exactly feel safe!! We checked that one off our bucket list anyways, but have no desire to return! Been there, done that!!

15 hours ago, Otto said:

I have a couple of things lined up….Brunch at Commanders Palace, breakfast at Cafe du Monde, French Quarter, etc.  

Cafe du Monde is good for breakfast and coffee. If you're into it, try a couple places for crawfish boils! I liked them so much, I found a place down there that ships live crawfish overnight, so I had 10lbs delivered and I put on a crawfish boil for my family.

Sad to see all the homeless around on the streets, begging for money.

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1

Gettysburg, PA. Little Round Top looking over the Wheat Field and the Battleground beyond.
be7324eda89735e18469cfec46e05adb.jpg

We skipped Biltmore Mansion in Ashville, NC because you need to make a reservation. Who knew!? Drove a good portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway, absolutely stunning views! Still very early spring, no trees are even leafed out yet. d9ed0611cf7d54e3c7e237d182e7e2c3.jpg3d9da44064fb65103c915409ecd7a018.jpg
Some nice waterfalls and streams.
ad1741954dc0dc4a3ead9045feca3dd8.jpg
0b530becbe94fe3028f7b8f8a515961e.jpg
Now in Bryson City, NC, about 20 miles from the wildfires in the Smoky Mt National Park.
Hiking a bit tomorrow if trails aren't closed. Potential wind from 30 to 60 mph, w gusts up to 80!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 7

We got smoked out of the Smokies. The Park Ranger said "imagine your palm is the SMNP.....you can only access your pinkie nail portion of it now." We walked around a 19th century farm exhibit at the visitors center. No pics, except for this.
cd6517c180281829da5950bae85a70e4.jpg
I wasn't sure what it was at first, but figured it out in a bit. This helped:
8e926ffcf39b208c66284c092b47267d.jpg

Confirmed an hour later.
f47e5edc68f3283143d6e2eddea442cb.jpg

0e5edbd5c7a4b2dcd08767693c068b0a.jpg

Mingo Falls in Cherokee Indian Reservation.

2245733fba7dec7dcfec1568c94118b5.jpg

• Like 8

Took the literal Road to Nowhere
Unfinished road and tunnel. Nice hiking trails after the tunnel, we went 4.4 miles total, 800' up and 800' back down. Fun day.
79f18a15ea9f04b5fb84d73ea3b60c75.jpgcbe6f1a8ace446d7de18ff76dfb407ca.jpg213f30994193f5321dd75611feaf0b3e.jpg087d53824daec7947219c9b0e9db69a1.jpg

I did book a flyfishing trip for tomorrow, going to be real fun and probably real embarrassing. Then on to Georgia for opening weekend of turkey!

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, Otto said:

Took the literal Road to Nowhere
Unfinished road and tunnel. Nice hiking trails after the tunnel, we went 4.4 miles total, 800' up and 800' back down. Fun day.
79f18a15ea9f04b5fb84d73ea3b60c75.jpgcbe6f1a8ace446d7de18ff76dfb407ca.jpg213f30994193f5321dd75611feaf0b3e.jpg087d53824daec7947219c9b0e9db69a1.jpg

I did book a flyfishing trip for tomorrow, going to be real fun and probably real embarrassing. Then on to Georgia for opening weekend of turkey!

Looks like a blast.   Good luck with the feesh and turk-eye.   Lol

I hope the Mrs has some fun planned while you’re out monkeying around.  :)

Paula, if you did the Blue Ridge Parkway, I commend you!  It’s a great road, but not for the faint of heart.

Larry,  Bryson City is a small, small town and she found the only Day Spa around.  Probably be more than my morning of fishing! 

On Friday morning I booked a fly fishing trip in the Smokies. I left my phone in my car, the guide took pics but he hasn't sent them yet. I caught a 10" wild rainbow and had a nice fish on for 20 seconds or so. I really have not ff much before, so mostly it was a lesson in technique and humility.
Today I met up with a friend and we hunted his lease in N Ga, very near the Alabama border. The birds were very quiet, especially for opening day. Another of his lease partners killed a Tom this afternoon, bird came in dead silent, all fanned out.
Hoping for better luck tomorrow.
47db72e2bbba181f50f51f25ac58fde9.jpgce1ab959bc62c671cb7c0aa3778c2f6a.jpg

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Otto said:

On Friday morning I booked a fly fishing trip in the Smokies. I left my phone in my car, the guide took pics but he hasn't sent them yet. I caught a 10" wild rainbow and had a nice fish on for 20 seconds or so. I really have not ff much before, so mostly it was a lesson in technique and humility.
Today I met up with a friend and we hunted his lease in N Ga, very near the Alabama border. The birds were very quiet, especially for opening day. Another of his lease partners killed a Tom this afternoon, bird came in dead silent, all fanned out.
Hoping for better luck tomorrow.
47db72e2bbba181f50f51f25ac58fde9.jpgce1ab959bc62c671cb7c0aa3778c2f6a.jpg

I see your buddy is wearing his snake boots....<GRIN>... Is your buddy's lease anywhere near Lumpkin, Ga.  ?....

We were in Cedartown, not for from Michael Waddell's property.
No turkeys today, had 1 hen all day, never heard a gobble. Ah well, a reason to come back.
Off to AL tomorrow, my sporting sidetrips are over for a couple of weeks. Beach, booze, and sleep on deck.

• Like 4

Wolc, we brought 3 12 packs with us, left some with friends along the way. Drinking the last couple poolside right now. We may pass by Mobile on our way home, route is still TBD.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Otto said:

Wolc, we brought 3 12 packs with us, left some with friends along the way. Drinking the last couple poolside right now. We may pass by Mobile on our way home, route is still TBD.

There is something in them Ruby reds that makes them taste a lot better outside when the sun is shining.   I am going to pick some up next time that I go to the market.  Hopefully, there will be some sun out on the water over Easter weekend up in the Adirondacks.  

I am also going to try slow cooking a neck roast with one in the crockpot.  The one I did with a Spring Bock a week ago was excellent, but that turned out to be a hind quarter roast, from a button buck.  I don’t know if a half of a nine-Point neck with a Ruby red will be as good, but I will find out.  

If you do go thru Mobile on your way, the USS Alabama museum is worth a stop.  It’s just past Felix’s fish camp, which is my favorite seafood place in the Southeast.