Home Safe Suggestions

BizCT

Looking for home safe suggestions. Not really into the techy wifi stuff. Just need it to hold maybe 5 pistols, some ammo, passports/SS cards, cash, a few pieces of jewelry. Not worried about someone actually breaking into it. More of just a place to keep the aforementioned items locked in 1 spot.

Cannon, Dean's, etc.?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Looking for home safe suggestions. Not really into the techy wifi stuff. Just need it to hold maybe 5 pistols, some ammo, passports/SS cards, cash, a few pieces of jewelry. Not worried about someone actually breaking into it. More of just a place to keep the aforementioned items locked in 1 spot.

Cannon, Dean's, etc.?

Thanks.

You should have a place for all important documents in that fireproof safe too - wills, healthcare proxy, insurance policies, etc.

• Like 1

I'm a super cheap person and I don't have a fear of my guns being stolen or being burned in a fire so my gun safe is is a cheap stack-on safe for the long guns and a cheap amazon pistol safe with a digital number combination for the pistols. All the important documents, house deed, life insurance, passports, birth certificates etc. are in a small name brand fire proof safe that site on the floor of our closet. I bet all of the safes put together are less then $300. 

42 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I'm a super cheap person and I don't have a fear of my guns being stolen or being burned in a fire so my gun safe is is a cheap stack-on safe for the long guns and a cheap amazon pistol safe with a digital number combination for the pistols. All the important documents, house deed, life insurance, passports, birth certificates etc. are in a small name brand fire proof safe that site on the floor of our closet. I bet all of the safes put together are less then $300. 

That's pretty much what I need. But was thinking I could do docs/pistols all in one small safe that sits on the floor. I'm not worried about theft. Moreso, a central place for everything and according to CT law I learned in pistol class last night that with a kid under 18 in your house all ammo/guns have to be locked up if not carried on your body.

6 minutes ago, BizCT said:

That's pretty much what I need. But was thinking I could do docs/pistols all in one small safe that sits on the floor. I'm not worried about theft. Moreso, a central place for everything and according to CT law I learned in pistol class last night that with a kid under 18 in your house all ammo/guns have to be locked up if not carried on your body.

Pretty sure that's NY law too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BizCT said:

I like having the pistols and the paperwork separate. The pistol safe is on the floor on my side of the bed for easy access if necessary in the middle of the night. Not that I really ever expect something to happen in the middle of the night but hey ya never know. The fire safe almost never gets accessed unlike the pistol safe which is every night and morning. 

The gun safe is just to keep the long guns locked up and out of the sight of anyone that may be visiting. I didn't see the need to spend big money on a gun safe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

Nice. which model?

Ehhh not sure on model. Think it was 600 new holds 26 guns . I configured it for one shelf .I store documents,  pass ports, will,  house stuff ,bank stuff all along the side .  Grab a hygrometer and a golden rod to monitor humidity 

• Like 1

Just now, mlammerhirt said:

Does ammo have to be locked up in NY?

In addition, I think firearms need to have a trigger lock and be locked in a safe.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I don't believe ammo does.  But all guns in a house with kids need to be locked up.  

I have a 35 gun, it's a heavy girl. I keep all guns, some ammo for each, all important paperwork, spare keys, photos etc... It's fire rated and I also bought a pistol holder for the door with an additional fire resistant sealed pouch. The reason I don't like keeping paperwork, SS cards etc in a small fire rated box is if your home was burglarized they're going to run off easily with a small safe. Mine is 700lbs, noone is leaving with any of it. Additionally if there was a fire, those items are probably going to survive (guns included). I also carry additional homeowners insurance on the value of the firearms. It's a small price to pay for a bit of peace of mind, should they need to be replaced.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You're only issue is IF there was a break in, they'll take that safe with them and everything inside. At the least I'd find a way to bolt that smaller safe to the floor.

I used to work at Sentry Safe the first and best maker of real fire resistance safes , U.L listed . Few safe companies safes can meet those requirements , keep in mind there are varying leaves among U.L. ranks as well .

Also Sentry was sold to Master Lock who moved the whole shooting match to Mexico …. I’d be Leary of them today .

My point is any safe company that has their own “ rating “ generally does so because they can’t meet U.L. standards , so keep,that in mind id that’s important to you .

Most of today’s box store safes aren’t even really safes ,they’re made to look good to the uneducated buyer but offer maybe 2-5 minutes of “ safety “ against a hand tool attack .

If I had to do it over again I’d go Sturdy safes , you’ve never heard of them because they don’t advertise, don’t have to .in fact I’m considering getting this one ,in addition ,to my gun safe, wall safe, two drawer actual fire resistant file ,that’s where our papers go .

I’m thinking of this one .

https://www.sturdysafe.com/products/the-cube

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

Which ever safe you go with make sure it has a key bypass.My friend has a Winchester with no bypass he had to pay a locksmith to open it when the digital lock broke.I got this one from big dick's sporting goods it's got a bunch of shelf configuration's and pistol sleeves on the door.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/wasatch-24-gun-fire-safe-with-electronic-lock-19svwu24gnfrwtrlcgua/19svwu24gnfrwtrlcgua

Was it a difficult process to swap over your NY license to CT?

13 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I used to work at Sentry Safe the first and best maker of real fire resistance safes , U.L listed . Few safe companies safes can meet those requirements , keep in mind there are varying leaves among U.L. ranks as well .

Also Sentry was sold to Master Lock who moved the whole shooting match to Mexico …. I’d be Leary of them today .

My point is any safe company that has their own “ rating “ generally does so because they can’t meet U.L. standards , so keep,that in mind id that’s important to you .

Most of today’s box store safes aren’t even really safes ,they’re made to look good to the uneducated buyer but offer maybe 2-5 minutes of “ safety “ against a hand tool attack .

If I had to do it over again I’d go Sturdy safes , you’ve never heard of them because they don’t advertise, don’t have to .in fact I’m considering getting this one ,in addition ,to my gun safe, wall safe, two drawer actual fire resistant file ,that’s where our papers go .

I’m thinking of this one .

https://www.sturdysafe.com/products/the-cube

Did you make my safe?!?!

The only thing I will add is that a lot of people say they are more concerned about security than fire...   I used to think that way too, until we lost our entire home to fire 7 years ago..   you never think it will happen to you until it does...

By biggest learning is that when it does happen, having something that can withstand the temp of a fire is important, but having something that is waterproof is almost more important (especially if it is in the basement)..   Heat rises and although the majority of the structure of our house was gone, the basement never got super hot and the bigger issue was the 2 feet of water in the basement from the firemen putting out the fire(can't say enough about the volunteers that were there and do everything they can to make a very bad situation better) .   We had rubber maid totes that were not affected by the heat but ended up being full of water.

Sorry for the long winded message..   To net it out, you really need to plan for the unexpected as well!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Did you make my safe?!?!

If it was made between ‘82 and idk ‘87 perhaps, after that date I worked on the shipping dock until 1990 . Is it a 1380 or 1330 ? Mrs Nomad worked there till they moved 6 years ago or so , I bought her a sombrero but she stayed here ….

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

If it was made between ‘82 and idk ‘87 perhaps, after that date I worked on the shipping dock until 1990 . Is it a 1380 or 1330 ? Mrs Nomad worked there till they moved 6 years ago or so , I bought her a sombrero but she stayed here ….

I don't think its that old but ill pretend it is. 

I got it from a guy who was moving.  We went there get a mower and lucked into a gun safe too. 

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

You're only issue is IF there was a break in, they'll take that safe with them and everything inside. At the least I'd find a way to bolt that smaller safe to the floor.

The smaller ones I see are still 200-250lbs. I can't imagine someone walking out with it like @moog5050 carrying an atlas stone!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Which ever safe you go with make sure it has a key bypass.My friend has a Winchester with no bypass he had to pay a locksmith to open it when the digital lock broke.I got this one from big dick's sporting goods it's got a bunch of shelf configuration's and pistol sleeves on the door.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/wasatch-24-gun-fire-safe-with-electronic-lock-19svwu24gnfrwtrlcgua/19svwu24gnfrwtrlcgua

Was it a difficult process to swap over your NY license to CT?

No transfer per se. Just had to start over, but its a simple 3-4 week process. I filled out online app last week. Took NRA class this week. Next week is fingerprints, and then i'm done. Legally I was allowed to bring guns to CT just can't carry them until I get my permit. CT is full carry concealed or open carry. I never carry anyways, but now maybe I will ocassionally?

Edited by BizCT
  • Like 1

The smaller ones I see are still 200-250lbs. I can't imagine someone walking out with it like [mention=2442]moog5050[/mention] carrying an atlas stone!
Oh ok, I thought you were referring to the 40lb ones people keep under beds...

• Like 1

My number 1 suggestion would be to buy one bigger than you think you will need. They tend to fill up fast. Be advised that most of the home and gun safes on the market today can be opened with an earth magnet. You can buy these magnets on Amazon and EBay. Go to YouTube and you can see video's on how easily it's done. But the home and gun safes are great for peace of mind when children are present.

• Like 2