Doggie being Dogged

fasteddie

A young fellow named Josh on my Airedale board hunts them with hounds and an Airedale "Earl" he got from me. He had this one hole up crawl down under a pile of brush making for an interesting time.

Al

=================================================

"Earls butt sticking out of the hole the dog beside him is my other dog Dan. Eventually somehow Earl worked around mr coyote in the brush pile and got behind him then the two of them worked back and forth till they had it caught and stretched out. Unfortunately they had worked farther back in the pile and I couldnt get any pics through the branches that you could make out much in."

Hard to see but there is a Coyote backed down in this hole facing Earl and showing his pearly whites.

Josh

2022-03-26_092748.png

2022-03-26_092821.png

2022-03-26_092915.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Don't  know anything  about Coyote Hunting.

Is it possible  for a Coyote to backtrack on a Hunting Beagle and Kill it while reversing roles?

Idk about back tracking but there are rare occasions when coyote does kill a beagle. I know at least 1 time personally. Hunting with dogs always presents a danger for the dog. Hunting in pairs or packs will help. Also I think coyotes are hunted more with larger hounds, but I could be mistaken.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Is it possible  for a Coyote to backtrack on a Hunting Beagle and Kill it while reversing roles?

I know of Rabbit hunters that have lost Beagles to Coyotes, it is well known Coyotes will kill and eat small dogs if they get the opportunity. I had a Houndsman tell me he was running a Coyote with a good Plott Hound above the North shore of Oneida lake. The lake was frozen over and the Coyote decided to head across to the other side with the Plott a couple of hundred yards behind in plain view. The Coyote all of a sudden decided he had enough and turned back and met the Plott head on. The hunter said they clashed and were both up on their hind legs going at it pretty good when after a couple of minutes of bloody fighting the Plott turned tail and ran back to his owner. Plotts are well known for their grittiness and fight so it was no small feat for that Coyote to kick ass.

Airedales are cut from a different cloth, they like the fight and the more they get hurt the madder they get, Earl below facing the music and going in and dragging out another Coyote.

Al

2022-03-27_110448.png

• Like 3

My Grandpa had an airedale.

My mom was concerned when her four boys were playing with it in the backyard and my Grand pappy said not to worry, the dog can take care of itself.

Loved that dog, but my passion is bird dogs.

I have a soft spot for airedales, especially since I know they despise coyote as much as I do. 

• Like 1