Phone As Caller?

25 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Anyone ever have any luck calling coyotes in using their phone with MP3's? I have my old phone and just downloaded a few MP3 distress calls and transferred them over.

Early season with a Bluetooth speaker near a lucky duck attractor. Prey calls almost no barking.

In late season I mostly use hand and mouth calls I think its possible many of these dogs have hear all kinds of electronics. February and March i do very minimal calling, like 1 howl and lots of patients.

But just like everything else you need to scout, and scout more. I get positioned on a high spot and just listen as long as I can at night, and look for tracks at common crossings. Note all fresh sign when in the woods. I may scout for a week to find an active ridge system. This is the hardest time of year to kill a yote. 

Thank you for the reply. I was pondering going out in the AM. Both of the areas I have in mind had a ton of coyote tracks all Winter while I out hunting squirrels and rabbits. They both had a lot of sign in years past, but it seemed this year they are growing in numbers.

I'm itching to get out with the new rifle, tomorrow is the last day for yotes, so I might give it a shot for the heck of it.

• Like 2

Just get out there with the new rifle and give it a go! You'll need a speaker for your phone, to get the downloaded calls out there. Start off low volume and go a little louder, if no response. I'd stick to a rabbit distress call. Don't over do it though.

Watch your downwind!!! If they can, they'll usually try to scent check before coming in.

Good luck!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Just get out there with the new rifle and give it a go! You'll need a speaker for your phone, to get the downloaded calls out there. Start off low volume and go a little louder, if no response. I'd stick to a rabbit distress call. Don't over do it though.

Watch your downwind!!! If they can, they'll usually try to scent check before coming in.

Good luck!

Thank you grampy. I never gave any thought about having a speaker, and I just got back from Walmart. I guess if I do head out, I'll just use the speaker on the phone for now.

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

Yeah, for tomorrow I'll just have to use the speaker on the phone. I wasn't driving back to Walmart tonight and I'll be going out way before they open in the AM.

Also check places like big lots, ollies, and tj max, they have electronic closeout stuff cheap.

• Like 1

Well, that sort of sucked. But, I did learn a valuable lesson. Don't skimp on AR mags! I got out, loaded the mag, put the mag in the rifle, and it fell out. I'll be exchanging the Hera's for some Magpuls ASAP! Yeah, yeah, I know, I should have checked them beforehand. The one that came with the rifle is OK, the two spares are garbage.

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

Well, that sort of sucked. But, I did learn a valuable lesson. Don't skimp on AR mags! I got out, loaded the mag, put the mag in the rifle, and it fell out. I'll be exchanging the Hera's for some Magpuls ASAP! Yeah, yeah, I know, I should have checked them beforehand. The one that came with the rifle is OK, the two spares are garbage.

You may be able to figure out what's wrong and modify them a little.

Did you hunt?
How was the phone?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I never even thought about using a phone(with a speaker) for calling, but it would be my luck that I would have one coming in and someone would call me !

I'm also interested in how it worked out, as it could be a good backup for my backup.

I never actually got to hunt, I took the rounds back out of the magazine and came home. I wasn't in the greatest of moods at the time, so I didn't even bother trying to use the calls I put on the old phone, I didn't see much of a point to be honest.

I grabbed a Magpul magazine a little while ago and that works fine. It might be the spring tension of the mag release, I'll have to have it looked at. But as soon as I have the extra cash, I'm just picking up a few more of the Magpuls.

I sort of laughed at myself last deer season taking the ML out one morning and forgetting primers, but this morning pissed me off.

I never actually got to hunt, I took the rounds back out of the magazine and came home. I wasn't in the greatest of moods at the time, so I didn't even bother trying to use the calls I put on the old phone, I didn't see much of a point to be honest.
I grabbed a Magpul magazine a little while ago and that works fine. It might be the spring tension of the mag release, I'll have to have it looked at. But as soon as I have the extra cash, I'm just picking up a few more of the Magpuls.

I sort of laughed at myself last deer season taking the ML out one morning and forgetting primers, but this morning pissed me off.

You didn’t have this issue when you sighted it in?

I personally won’t own a magpul magazine I’ve saw way too many fail. Do yourself a favor and go with lancer L5’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You didn’t have this issue when you sighted it in?

I personally won’t own a magpul magazine I’ve saw way too many fail. Do yourself a favor and go with lancer L5’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. When I sighted the rifle in, I only had the original mag that came with it present. Which is a Hera and worked fine. I took the other two out of the package and put them all in the safe when I was cleaning the rifle. When I was done, I just grabbed one and slid it back in. This morning I grabbed the rifle, a box of ammo and left. That's how I learned about the problem. Two of the three magazines will not stay in the rifle, one does and seeing the original was used and no problems it must be the two spares that are messed up.

They are all the short 10 rounders. The one I bought today is the 10/20. I want to have a few of the shorts around for bench shooting. I'll have a look at the Lancers.