Oďdity...

G-Man

Was posting new property today and did a little exploring as well found this highly unusual Norway spruce, this was Done a long time ago as tree is  10 in at the corkscrew..  it may fall and be carved into something unique if I can get woolly to work on it..20220326_152736.thumb.jpg.9bb0d535d304b1da350728e69e43d711.jpg20220326_152746.thumb.jpg.6845fe24b2978f4313d602966d2c6b2b.jpg

• Like 15

15 hours ago, Farflung said:

Possibly the results of a White Pine Weevil attack (they love Norway Spruce) or snow damage to the leader?

Had to be very fresh growth not to break and it should show broken leaders on other trees the same age stand  this is only one I see with leader damage

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Had to be very fresh growth not to break and it should show broken leaders on other trees the same age stand  this is only one I see with leader damage

Yeah, most likely happened when that was top of the tree . 1/2 broke off(hinge cut) due to snow and or ice and the new growth continued up and around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ncountry said:

Yeah, most likely happened when that was top of the tree . 1/2 broke off(hinge cut) due to snow and or ice and the new growth continued up and around.

Still surprised that a partial snap occurred, and had chance to regrow, any pine or spruce I see partial cut usually dies..  

• Like 1

Just now, G-Man said:

Still surprised that a partial snap occurred, and had chance to regrow, any pine or spruce I see partial cut usually dies..  

Yes, it is pretty unusual.  It's interesting , somewhere in my travels this year while hunting I saw something close to identical only about 10' above the ground . For the life of me I cannot remember where, so I can't go back and take a pic.lol

11 minutes ago, Farflung said:

When the top breaks off or is first killed by the weevil, the lateral branches will start to grow.

This it a corkscrew in the leader.. not a lateral becoming a leader  .very  Unusual

• Like 1