Syracuse.com - Hastings man arrows 'buck of a lifetime' in Tompkins County

"I thought he was just an 8 point. Boy was I in shock when I walked up to him."

11781066-large.jpgSubmitted photo

Bowhunter Dan Wilcox sent me these pictures and the following story:

He wrote: "I arrowed this 18 point on Oct. 20th. He only green scores 141 7/8 but with triple brow tines and a bunch of character he is a buck of a lifetime.

"It was one of the most memorable hunts I have ever had, I had deer all over me.

"I am from Hastings. The deer was taken in Tompkins county near Groton. It was about 5:15 pm and I saw this deer with a smaller, but nice 8 point. I have a video camera on my bow so I began to video tape the deer when the big one much to my amaze made a left hand turn and started toward me.

"Thats when "buck fever" set in. I drew my bow and took a deep breath when he walked into a lane I had cut at 16 yards. I delivered a Montec broadhead into his lungs and he fell within eye distance about 30 yards away.

"I then began celebrating in my stand and calling people I thought he was just an 8 point, boy was I in shock when I walked up on him.

"Even better I had forgot that I had it all on video right down to the celebration in my stand.

"What a hunt of a life time."

11781077-large.jpg

View the full article on The Syracuse Outdoors Blog