Time Magazine Cover Dec 9

BoonDoc

Wow. I must say, I never thought I'd see a mainstream periodical go pro-hunting. Anyone seen the latest issue of TIME? It features a whitetail on the cover and reads, "America's Pest Problem: why the rules of hunting are about to change". The article itself is a mediocre piece, vacillating between being pro-hunting but treating gingerly those readers who may be inclined to hug, rather than dispatch a deer. Nevertheless, it took me by surprise. The author, David Von Drehle, makes mention that there has been a resurgence of deer, bear, hog, beaver, cougar, racoon among others, mostly in the Northeast. The focus of the article, overall, is that these once protected animals have now become a nuisance and public health risk. There is little to no mention of hunter's dollars going to conservation efforts, that hunters maintain safe populations, that hunting is a time-honored sport and tradition woven into American culture and that of our forebears. Drehle echos my sentiments, often shared with my anti friends. "So what can keep these animals at bay? One the No. 1 Predator of them all: The human being". A bit dramatic to be sure, but lacking the historical predators like the cougar, wolf, etc, deer have only starvation to control them. Sad and inhumane. Glad at least this topic has come to light and will be shared to a wider, perhaps unreasonably anti-hunting audience. Of course, it could lead to tags selling out to a new wave of suburban hunters and a tree stand in every backyard.

• Like 1