Pre- Sandy Bow Hunt

Beaverkill

After preparing my NJ home for the storm all weekend, I decided to forego watching the Giants game and hit the woods. I am losing my prime hunting property after this season, so I have been scouting some public land near my house... I took my bow for a hike and found an excellent rub line on top of a far ridge with oaks and maples about 3/4 mile in...Instead of going back to the truck for my stand, I made a simple ground blind out of fallen branches and logs...

About an hour into my sit, I see a doe feeding about 75 yards out. She browses up the the ridge and beds down about 100 yds away... After about 30 minutes, she runs off... At first I think the gusty winds brought my scent to her but then I see a buck...Big enough to see a rack at 100 yds.. He chases her off only to return 15 minutes later...I tried grunting and the can but he walked back the way he came...Never getting close enough to see how big he was...

I continued to sit and enjoy the woods, when just before dark a buck sneeked in from behind and was standing 8 yards away...I waited until his head was behind a tree, pulled back only to have my arrow catch a limb from my ground blind... I was able to clear and get full draw with the buck at 20 yards but couldnt see me pin with the falling light and dark background...I let down and watched the shooter 8 point walk out of my life.... What a hunt... I love hunting new woods...

Then the storm hit... I havent had power since Monday evening... All my family live on the shore in Manasquan, Pt Pleasant, Spring Lake and Long Branch...We have been making the best of it...House Camping... A small generator to keep the fridge and freezer going...Fireplace for heat and bottled water... Spent a day and a half on the chainsaw clearing trees for myself and neighbors...My office now has power.. and we are like command central with friend/family and associates using our conference room and internet service for people who cant get into the city... The commute to work is hell... You think Jersey drivers suck when things are normal, you should see them without traffic lights and no showers for a week... Life goes On!!!

• Like 1

Sometimes that's the best hunt.Just walk in and decide,Hey......I think i am going to sit here.Make a little blind then hang out.I do this alot during gun season.I can't hunt out of a stand during gun.Just get the feeling i need to be in a different spot.If i am walking i will find a spot and just make a little blind or pull out my poncho and hang it with my paracord to make a little blind.

Thats waht hunting is all about.

• Like 1