Still Waiting! But getting closer

Dstone001

My friend's neighbor has about 60 acres in 4Z, just north of Pine Plains. No one has hunted it in a while, but her back neighbor hunts, and apparently there is some minor dispute over boundaries. She has a large field (about 3 football fields, I'm guessing) and the deer funnel down a bowl and graze there. I go out about 6:15 Saturday morning, find my self a spot about half-way up the bowl. I see some doe up above me.

4Z -- No doe permits!!

I decide to move higher so all my angles are down into the bowl. Literally ten minuts after I sit in my new spot, I look up and there's a big fat doe standing in front of me. I think I could have spit on her. She's staring, I take aim, she stares. I don't shoot. I want my first deer to be legal. (A bunch of fellows at the bar said, "on private property? take the doe!" I stayed out until 4 pm and saw some more does, but no bucks.

The next morning i go out with my friend. Walking out his door, we see a deer run from his backyard. We cross a little stream to the neighbor and can see about 10 spots in the frost where deer were sleeping. There's an empty house right there (the mother died a few years back), and we may just sleep in the front room. Wake up, shoot, and go back to bed.

We cross the field, and when we get to the edge we see about 4 more deer run away. I climb to my spot and see a bunch of does during the day. One stopped about 30 yards away and hung out for about 20 minutes. then she looked right at me and walked over. I said, "go get your boyfriend." She didn't.

8199438215_42422a656e_z.jpg

I saw one buck during the day, nothing big, but it was above me on a ridge and I didn't have a shot.

Lots of shots going one. For one period of about an hour, someone was taking a shot every 2-5 minutes. I can't imagine why -- unless he was target practicing. Every time I heard a shot near me I thought, well, that's one less buck that might happen by.

I went out this morning in my back yard -- about 4 acres, with a trail running through it. I only sat a few hours and had to get back home. My girlfriend and I are doing Thanksgiving for about 20 people, and she's annoyed that I'm sitting in the woods.

I really want to shoot something this year.