Night Vison/ IR optics.

Anyone know of any good night optics that won't break the bank? Not looking for a scope just something to scan fields and not use a spot light. I was looking at a ATN digital IR mono scope with 4x magnification just don't know the effective range on them

Natchezss has a few monoculars in stock

http://www.natchezss.com/optics.cfm?contentId=opticsType&opticsType=6&category=20

With a snowy backdrop your viewing range will increase. It might be worth getting an extra(external) IR source to light it up better on dark nights.

I have looked through a cheapy monocular and have hunted yotes with a Gen 4 riflescope. The difference is incredible, but so is the price tag! A midline model should serve well for what you want to do.

Do you not like using lights or just want to be incognito? Please tell me you're not scanning with a 2 million candlepower spotlight.

gotcha.

You'll need to be careful of your movements. One of the main reasons for using a light for scanning is for allowing the light to sort of shield you from them. In other words, they can't see what's behind the light.

Using NV you will have hopefully already identified your target before the shot, so you can just hit them with the kill-light and shoot. Be ready to drop the hammer though, because they might spook not long after you light them up.

Do you use shooting sticks?