Coons and yotes

woodchuck

I would like to know what everyone has found to be great trap set ups for coyotes and coons? I would like to start trapping but it's a lost art. I don't know anyone who traps. This deer season, I have seen a bunch of coyote tracks and have a bunch of videos from the cams. Just would like info on setup of traps and any pointers. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll start off by saying that coons are easy to trap and coyotes are just the opposite. Very important to get the proper traps that will be able to hold a yote, they are tough!

Did you take the trappers course yet? They should have went over the basics.

The most obvious tip is to set the trap where the wind will allow them to catch the scent. Keeping your scent off the set is crucial. Most baited sets are just simulating natural occurrences, such as a "dirt hole" where a fox dug a hole and buried some food. Or a scent post which coyotes will chew and urinate on to mark their territory boundary. Then there are un-baited sets which are just set on trails where a yote is expected to walk.

Trying to outsmart these critters is fun, but it takes time. It's a great way to get outdoors and become more observant to sign, conditions, and animal behavior. 

The course was pretty cool too, alot can be learned from listening to those old timers.