Syracuse.com - Guest column: Tell the whole story about bald eagles on Onondaga Lake

OK guys, you've given this Greg Craybas way more than his 15 seconds of fame, now how about writing a story about bald eagles from an unbiased, common sense point of view, without all the heart-string-tugging, national symbol saluting,

The following was submitted by Doug Cole, of Phoenix, about the bald eagle/duck hunting situation on Onondaga Lake brought up by Syracuse dentist Greg Craybas that has since resulted in the city of Syracuse announcing plans to post "No Hunting" signs along shore prior to next year's duck hunting season:

OK guys, you've given this Greg Craybas way more than his 15 seconds of fame, now how about writing a story about bald eagles from an unbiased, common sense point of view, without all the heart-string-tugging, National symbol saluting, Six Nation tree of peace sitting, hyperbole. The native Americans thought seeing an eagle was " the best of all good luck " because they used their feathers in their headdresses, and I doubt the eagles gave up their feathers willfully.

This dentist/photographer says a plan is needed to protect these eagles. Protect them from what? No one kills eagles for meat or feathers anymore, and they didn't come to face extinction in the 60's from overharvesting or harassment by hunters. They faced extinction from ingesting toxins like DDT and mercury carried in their main food source, fish. If anyone is truly concerned about the eagles' well-being, they should keep them away from Onondaga Lake, especially at the outlet to the waste treatment facility. ( I don't think I would eat ducks that I shot from that area either and I would never hunt anything I can't eat. )

There are dozens upon dozens of places throughout this area where eagles and ospreys can be watched and photographed throughout the year. All these birds need are tall trees and a good food source. I've been watching eagles and osprey along the Oswego River for years, since the early 90's, and although I think it's wonderful their population seems to have increased in the past several years, a gathering of 10 or 12 eagles on the north shore of Onondaga Lake for a month or so each year doesn't warrant the expense to build a viewing area, unless of course, Mr. Craybas would like to fund it.

Hey, maybe he can get some financial help from Bob Congel, the area in question is right next door to his mall and he's got millions of our tax dollars already. It would look like a good-will gesture on Congel's part, I'm sure he could find a way to write it off as a donation to something or other, and Mr. Craybas would have a nice, safe area to take his pictures from, without having to cross those dangerous railroad tracks. It probably won't take more than a couple hundred thousand to build, or triple that if the city, county, state and/or Mr. Congel get involved.

Let's use some common sense here.

#1. We taxpayers have tons of things to support with our tax dollars that are a lot more important than a viewing area for bald eagles that may or may not show up for a few weeks each year, depending on weather and other food sources.

#2. If hunters were truly harassing protected wildlife, the DEC would have something to say about that.

#3. If hunters were illegally discharging firearms within the city limits, the Syracuse police would have control over that.

#4. If Mr. Craybas admittedly trespassed to take some pictures, the Syracuse police should pursue that act as well.

So let the city keep the hunters from shooting inside the city limits, keep Mr. Craybas from having to trespass by letting him take his pictures with his big telephoto lens from the second level of the Best Buy parking garage, and let the bald eagles continue eating raw, " not safe for consumption " fish from Onondaga Lake. (and let's hope Honeywell truly is cleaning up the lake as they claim.)

View the full article on The Syracuse Outdoors Blog

Does this Cole dude even hunt waterfowl? I thought I was obnoxious... And I am, but at least I know what I am talking about part of the time... If you hunt this area and have a stake in this issue find a different approach to a compromise, distance yourself from the idiot... Take my word for it..

Edited by mike rossi

This whole thing is already twisted out of perspective. From the information I have, and if its wrong, its because the news journalism is not diligent; is that this Craybas guy is opposed to waterfowl hunting when the warm water discharge during the winter congregates eagles as well as waterfowl. From Craybas'  statements as reported in the news, it sounds like he is concerned with displacing wildlife in critical wintering habitat, not that he is anti hunting. He may have a point and furthermore, hunting in what is known as an "environmental trap" is not always as sporting as typical waterfowling.

Apparently the point  which is going  right over the heads of the local sporting community is the issues with the proposed bicycle and walking tail. Craybas is also voicing opposition to this, however that opposition is over shadowed by the hunting aspect of his concerns. Honeywell Corporation is side stepping the issue - bike trail patrons are more numerous than waterfowl hunters and this is a public relations decision favoring the majority of persons, Once the trail is constructed, waterfowl hunting would become nearly impossible - even if this was not within city limits as is claimed.  Furthermore, the human activity on the trail would impact all wintering birds, and the removal of large trees for construction of the trail  would impact eagles, as implied by Craybas.

The truth and the bottom line: The city, along with the corporate land owner - want the bike path at the expense of both hunters and wildlife. I think Craybas is on to something. As sportsmen bicker , confuse, and conflate things, the bike trail will be a solid go...

The following was submitted by Doug Cole, of Phoenix, about the bald eagle/duck hunting situation on Onondaga Lake brought up by Syracuse dentist Greg Craybas that has since resulted in the city of Syracuse announcing plans to post "No Hunting" signs along shore prior to next year's duck hunting season:

OK guys, you've given this Greg Craybas way more than his 15 seconds of fame, now how about writing a story about bald eagles from an unbiased, common sense point of view, without all the heart-string-tugging, National symbol saluting, Six Nation tree of peace sitting, hyperbole. The native Americans thought seeing an eagle was " the best of all good luck " because they used their feathers in their headdresses, and I doubt the eagles gave up their feathers willfully.

This dentist/photographer says a plan is needed to protect these eagles. Protect them from what? No one kills eagles for meat or feathers anymore, and they didn't come to face extinction in the 60's from overharvesting or harassment by hunters. They faced extinction from ingesting toxins like DDT and mercury carried in their main food source, fish. If anyone is truly concerned about the eagles' well-being, they should keep them away from Onondaga Lake, especially at the outlet to the waste treatment facility. ( I don't think I would eat ducks that I shot from that area either and I would never hunt anything I can't eat. )

There are dozens upon dozens of places throughout this area where eagles and ospreys can be watched and photographed throughout the year. All these birds need are tall trees and a good food source. I've been watching eagles and osprey along the Oswego River for years, since the early 90's, and although I think it's wonderful their population seems to have increased in the past several years, a gathering of 10 or 12 eagles on the north shore of Onondaga Lake for a month or so each year doesn't warrant the expense to build a viewing area, unless of course, Mr. Craybas would like to fund it.

Hey, maybe he can get some financial help from Bob Congel, the area in question is right next door to his mall and he's got millions of our tax dollars already. It would look like a good-will gesture on Congel's part, I'm sure he could find a way to write it off as a donation to something or other, and Mr. Craybas would have a nice, safe area to take his pictures from, without having to cross those dangerous railroad tracks. It probably won't take more than a couple hundred thousand to build, or triple that if the city, county, state and/or Mr. Congel get involved.

Let's use some common sense here.

#1. We taxpayers have tons of things to support with our tax dollars that are a lot more important than a viewing area for bald eagles that may or may not show up for a few weeks each year, depending on weather and other food sources.

#2. If hunters were truly harassing protected wildlife, the DEC would have something to say about that.

#3. If hunters were illegally discharging firearms within the city limits, the Syracuse police would have control over that.

#4. If Mr. Craybas admittedly trespassed to take some pictures, the Syracuse police should pursue that act as well.

So let the city keep the hunters from shooting inside the city limits, keep Mr. Craybas from having to trespass by letting him take his pictures with his big telephoto lens from the second level of the Best Buy parking garage, and let the bald eagles continue eating raw, " not safe for consumption " fish from Onondaga Lake. (and let's hope Honeywell truly is cleaning up the lake as they claim.)

View the full article on The Syracuse Outdoors Blog

I can't believe the paper published this guy Cole's 'view' of the picture... Who is this Cole guy?  Why does he get to represent wildfowlers?

What an embarrassment.

This is the picture Mr. Craybas took of the shells on the shore... I have a problem with seeing this too... Obviously, if anyone sees this, they are going to have a problem, unless of course, you enjoy being a pig. 

14106298-standard.jpg

And obviously, Mr. Cole attacking Mr. Craybas regarding "having a nice, safe area to take his pictures from, without having to cross those dangerous railroad tracks" is childish and let's people know that he is just into attacking the dentist and does not really care about the issues at hand.

Hunters always tote that they are 'CONSERVATIONIST' -- Mr. Cole is not being a conservationist nor is he thinking about the situation with an "unbiased, common sense point of view, without all the heart-string-tugging,"

If Mr. Cole was doing that, he would have stuck to talking (commonsensically) about what the issues are.

More: I referred to Honey Well as the corporate landowner, actually they are polluters who are under court order to clean up their mess. They are supposed to return the area to a functional wetland as it existed before they impacted it, however the bike trail was not there and it does nothing to restore a functional wetland system...

Racism. Native Americans have had much interest in this restoration and have been actively involved. One of the letter writers published by this Syracuse newspaper made derogatory comments toward the Indians, which I might add were totally irrelevant to ANYTHING...

Myself, Cazadora, and other waterfowlers are not happy with this garbage being published in a Syracuse newspaper with a large circulation. I emailed Figura and told him he was irresponsible in allowing those two represent the sport of waterfowling and waterfowlers. I have not heard back from him, big surprise.