Syracuse.com - Syracuse graduate at Sochi Olympics: Liking the Russian food

Lunch is a hearty meal. Typically it consists of some Russian soup, a vegetable salad, a grain like pasta or barley and a heaping of meat. The boiled sausage is delicious.

A 2013 graduate of Syracuse University who is pursuing a master's in Information Management, Brittany Legasey is currently working as a volunteer press assistant for the International Olympics Committee at the XXII Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Today she gives some insight to the food she's eating over there.

By Brittany Legasey | Contributing writer

I the Volunteer Village where I live, there are two cafeteria tents. When I first arrived, everyone ate at the smaller tent. The food was fantastic and very Russian

Cabbage soup, meat with pasta, compote juice, sour cream, it goes on and on. But then the second cafeteria tent opened right next to the first and our meals were relocated and redesigned.

Breakfast every morning is now the same: Russian 'pancakes' which are flat and doughy rolled up with cheese in the center and instant kasha' which is somewhat like oatmeal but a lot less flavorful and to be made by adding hot water to a pre-packaged mixture of oats and other grains.

I am usually at my work venue during lunchtime and the lunch there is hearty. Typically it consists of some Russian soup, a vegetable salad, a grain like pasta or barley and a heaping of meat. The boiled sausage is delicious.

And of course lots of tea, or as the Russians call it, "chai."

View the full article on The Syracuse Outdoors Blog