Syracuse.com - Figura writing about new fishing website, DEC boat launches, DEC commish

DEC Commish Joe Martens is meeting with the newspaper's editorial board next week and I'm scheduled to sit in. Any questions you'd like me to ask the commissioner?

blank.gifBob Hamilton, of Lyons, enjoys cross country skiing at Austin Park in Skaneateles.Stephen D. Cannerelli [email protected] 

Winter is in full force across Central New York.

Ski slopes are in full swing, cross country skiers are out doing their thing and the ice fishing scene is going strong with many local waterways frozen over.

I stopped by Bass Pro the other day to pick up a new set of blades for my ice auger. No luck. The salesman said they haven't had any ice augers or blades for more than a month. They've all been purchased.

I've been working lately on several projects. Stories I plan to publish soon include:

- Onondaga County's new fishing website.

-DEC has plans for new boat launches on Otisco and Skaneateles Lake.

- DEC Commissioner Joe Martens is visiting the newspaper's editorial board next week and I've been invited to sit in. Any questions you'd like me to ask the DEC commish? Send them to [email protected].

- An update on the state's war against wild boars.

-An update on the joint city/county deer task force.

-Should hunters in Onondaga County be allowed to hunt deer with rifles? (Many surrounding counties allow it).

ANYTHING ELSE READERS OF THIS REPORT WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME WRITE ABOUT?

The effectiveness of this report is two-fold. First, it lets readers know what's coming up story-wise. It also allows readers a chance to affect coverage and provide sources for upcoming stories. Bottom line: Keep in touch and give input. You could make a difference as to what appears week to week on the outdoors page! Email me at [email protected] or call 470-6066.

If you want to join The Post-Standard's Outdoors Group and get this emailed directly to you, subscribe here..

FIGURA ON FACEBOOK:

For those who are on Facebook, I also have a PS Outdoors page, which I check several times daily for feedback and story ideas. I also post personal fishing and hunting and other outdoors-related photos from time to time and I ask members to do the same. When you join, please be sure and hit the "like" button.

View the full article on The Syracuse Outdoors Blog