What are you reading?

Deleted Account

I'm quite an avid reader, and I was curious what everyone around here is reading. Outside of Outdoor Life and Field and Stream, I like to read a lot of Fantasy (Game of Thrones), Stephen King, I'm a huge fan of the James Bond books, and Ernest Hemingway. 

Right now I'm reading "Nottingham" by Nathan Makaryk, which a great adult retelling of the Robin Hood story.

Anyways, what are you reading?

91lFYpSZ2xL.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

I'm quite an avid reader, and I was curious what everyone around here is reading. Outside of Outdoor Life and Field and Stream, I like to read a lot of Fantasy (Game of Thrones), Stephen King, I'm a huge fan of the James Bond books, and Ernest Hemingway. 

Right now I'm reading "Nottingham" by Nathan Makaryk, which a great adult retelling of the Robin Hood story.

91lFYpSZ2xL.jpg

Never got into fantasy too much, with the exception of the CONAN books and The Tolkien Trilogy..

I LOVED Ian Fleming's  James Bond novels....Hate what Hollywood has done to them...They were truly excellent espionage tales and  the first couple movies were pretty good, but when they started embellishing them with a bunch  of high tech stuff I lost interest..

Hemmingway is awesome....My daughter gave me a first edition of " For Whom the Bell Tolls", which is my all time favorite novel...I  re-read it very couple of years...

That reminds me...I am due to read it again...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Never got into fantasy too much, with the exception of the CONAN books and The Tolkien Trilogy..

I LOVED Ian Fleming's  James Bond novels....Hate what Hollywood has done to them...They were truly excellent espionage tales and  the first couple movies were pretty good, but when they started embellishing them with a bunch  of high tech stuff I lost interest..

Hemmingway is awesome....My daughter gave me a first edition of " For Whom the Bell Tolls", which is my all time favorite novel...I  re-read it very couple of years...

That reminds me...I am due to read it again...

For Whom the Bell Tolls is absolutely one of my favorites. It's been a few years since I last read it, it may have to be up next.

• Like 1

The Boer War by Pakenham, The Bear Went Over The Mountain by Grau, Marshal Zhukov's Greatest Battles (tough going there), Billy Yank by Wiley, The Bridgebusters by Cleaver and Excuse Me Sir, There's a Moose in Your Tent by Larry Weil when I need something light.

I have to finish a few of these though because I got 6 new ones for Christmas that I'm itching to start.

I probably have about a dozen going at any one time....I am currently reading to finish "Road to Huertgen", which is a world war 2 memoir, but I love historical fiction. The Dewey Lambert novels are great on the napoleanic naval battles, as are Patrick Obriens, but I also love travel adventure books, esp. motorcycle oriented, and historical adventure/ hunting books. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I probably have about a dozen going at any one time....I am currently reading to finish "Road to Huertgen", which is a world war 2 memoir, but I love historical fiction. The Dewey Lambert novels are great on the napoleanic naval battles, as are Patrick Obriens, but I also love travel adventure books, esp. motorcycle oriented, and historical adventure/ hunting books. 

I have a bunch of the Patrick O'Brien books, but in random spacing.  Haven't gotten around to filling in the gaps yet.

Obrien is the absolute best. Each book holds up on its own, but I am rereading them....starting with the first, which helps understand alot of the back story. Lambert is great also, just written in a more modern style. The first few books kind of put me off with his...amorous adventures, but he matures and so does the story. 

I forget the authors name, but the Richard Sharpes adventures are great too..he is a foot soldier under Wellington, starting in India and following Wellingtons career through to Waterloo.much lighter reading, but he is a great character, As he advances in rank in the books, it helps to read them in order. 

I could give about 12 solid fantasy author recommendations.  Right now I'm going back to my formative years and reading Louis L'Amour short stories.  Still great writing.

Fantasy :

Jim Butcher, any of his series are great.  Read all 15 Dresden files in about a month.

Brian McClellan, good flintlock fantasy

Scott Lynch : Lies of Locke Lamora, crime caper in a fantasy setting

Modessit, Imager series.  He has a way with words and very poignant observations of society

That'll do for now unless you want More!

Forums like this killed books for me, can only read in little bits now .

Thoreau’s Walden Pond ,was the last book I read as far as I can recall , and I only remember that because that book was a struggle for me .

23 hours ago, Splitear_Leland said:

91lFYpSZ2xL.jpg

Oh and if you're into historical fiction :

The Rose and the Crane https://www.amazon.com/dp/0692930647?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Really good.

• Like 1

I can still remember hearing that EH had committed suicide in 1961..I was only eleven, but I had already read " The Old Man and the Sea" and was a fan....I remember being both shocked and sad...

His books, like his life, are fraught with alcoholism, depression and sadness. But man he could tell a story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I was staying at a humble little cottage on a small, local lake... I had been catching  crappies, slab sided, calico colored fish that looked almost too pretty to eat...

The girl from the cottage next door came out on the dock to ask if I was having any luck....Her young, pubescent nipples showed clearly through her supple cotton blouse...

She told me that she had just heard on the radio that Ernest Hemingway had died...

I tried to reply, but my voice changed and caught in my throat....

I finally managed to say, " Maria, I am very sad to hear that...I hope he went out well"....