Syracuse.com - What wild animal just killed my chickens? You'd be surprised: Oddities in the Outdoors

Skunks generally do not go after adult birds. They'll focus on a few chicks and consume their abdomens.

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Having just read the book, "Omnivore's Dilemma," by Michael Pollan, I'm giving serious thought to going "organic" and raising my own chickens in my backyard for their eggs and meat.

However, I know there's a host of animals out there that could potentially prey of my birds - some living in the woods bordering my back lawn.

I did a little research this morning and found the following information on what wild animals could feast on my birds and how to tell if you find a dead bird what killed it. All the following information was taken from avianaquamiser.com.

Mink and Weasel. The chickens will show signs of an attack by either of these animals on the sides of their heads. These animals have a tendency to go after several birds and after killing them, piling them neatly in a pile together. Interestingly, both these animals only eat the back of the head and neck of the birds.

Raccoon. These guys usually will visit once every 5 to 7 days and after killing a bird, will only eat its head and crop. If they're hungry enough, they'll sometimes dine on more than one bird.

Opossum. An opossum usually only kills one chicken per visit. They will then only devour its abdomen. The main focus of the visit, though, is usually eggs.

Owl. Great horned owl will sometimes go after poulty. This large owl will usually only after one of two birds, using its talons to pierce the chicken's brain. These big birds will only devour the chicken's head and neck. Look for feathers on a fence post near where you keep your chickens.

Fox and Coyote. These bad boys are very smart and difficult to catch in the act. They frequently carry the dead birds away and eat them elsewhere, living no trace. They usually visit very early in the morning. The only way of determining losses may be a head count. Your best bet to prevent attacks from these two animals is keep your chickens in a secure pen or poultry house until late morning.

Skunks. These critters generally do not go after adult birds. They'll focus on a few chicks and consume their abdomens. Their big focus is the eggs. How can you tell if one has stopped by? A lingering skunky smell is a good sign.

ALSO:

Dogs. Domestic canines usually take out chickens for the sport of doing it. If you come across several mauled chicken carcasses it's usually that s sign that a dog did it. They tend to stop by during the day, rather than at night.

View the full article on The Syracuse Outdoors Blog