Syracuse.com - Figura working story about deer in Syracuse, trout fishing, spring-time sucker fishing

Call me a diehard, but I'm still holding on to the ice fishing season -- with my fingernails

The trout fishing season began Tuesday, but many streams were high and chocolate-colored. They should drop and start to clear up by this weekend, provided we don't get much rain -- or heaven forbid, more snow.

Call me a diehard, but I'm still holding on to the ice fishing season -- with my fingernails. I went out on Owasco Lake late Tuesday afternoon and discovered the ice was still a solid 12 inches thick in my favorite spot. Caught a nice batch of perch, but I know that won't last long.

blank.gifAfter reporting and writing about opening day of trout fishing season Tuesday, here's what I caught later that day on Owasco Lake through the ice.David Figura | [email protected] 

Here's what I'm working on this week:

- Things are starting up again concerning the urban deer problem in the city of Syracuse and surrounding communities. There was a city/county deer task force formed last fall, but things have been quiet ever since,. A meeting is set for next week at Nottingham High School.

- Apart from the pictures we took yesterday, I haven't seen any submitted photos yet from proud anglers who cashed in on opening day. Send them to [email protected].

- Every go spring-time sucker fishing? I'm planning on doing that next week, and eating the catch for lunch. Stay tuned.

- The recently approved state budget includes legislation that legalizes crossbows for hunting ...but only allowing it on a portion of the archery season. What's with that? How did that happen?

-An update on the Seneca Army Depot/white deer situation.

- Late season steelhead fishing on the Salmon River.

- Should hunters in Onondaga County be allowed to hunt deer with rifles? (Many surrounding counties allow it).

- An update on the state's war against wild boars.

ANYTHING ELSE READERS OF THIS REPORT WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME WRITE ABOUT?

The effectiveness of this report is two-fold. First, it lets readers know what's coming up story-wise. It also allows readers a chance to affect coverage and provide sources for upcoming stories. Bottom line: Keep in touch and give input. You could make a difference as to what appears week to week on the outdoors page! Email me at [email protected] or call 470-6066.

If you want to join The Post-Standard's Outdoors Group and get this emailed directly to you, subscribe here..

FIGURA ON FACEBOOK:

For those who are on Facebook, I also have a PS Outdoors page, which I check several times daily for feedback and story ideas. I also post personal fishing and hunting and other outdoors-related photos from time to time and I ask members to do the same. When you join, please be sure and hit the "like" button.

FIGURA ON TWITTER Follow me @davidjfigura.

View the full article on The Syracuse Outdoors Blog