Ground Blind

BackWoods Hunter

Any of you guys have experience hunting in ground blinds in the ADKs? It seems more practical in the terrain I'm hunting. I've tried hunting all the different ways up here except that way and was considering giving it a shot this year.

I won't be able to set it up before general gun and so am a little worried that it could spook the only buck that could walk by me this year.

Hi Backwoods, unless you've got a real good spot picked out where you always see sign and/or deer, I'm not sure a ground blind is worth it. Few reasons, with gun you don't need deer to be spitting distance to kill them. Usually mountain will have natural terrain that can be used to conceal yourself, like a rocky perch, or blown down tree. And also,depending upon the type of blind you are talking about, it may be difficult to get out of the blind and go after a deer if he is escaping and hasn't presented you with a shot.

The safest way in for me is through the bottom of the valley. It seems like they own the high ground. If I try to get above them, it's more likely I'll blow them out.

I do have a few places in mind. If I could be concealed in the wide open, I'd have more opportunities. Otherwise I'll be confined to a few shooting lanes like I was last year.

Edited by BackWoods Hunter