Bad & Good bow shots

JFB

This season I had the chance to track and observe many archers shots. I also was able to read descriptions here of many hits that needed help finding deer. 

I preface this by saying I am far from claiming to be superior and also less than lethal shots happen to everyone and I'm glad we all learn from them.

However, to review my observations, the majority of wounded game resulted from poor shot SELECTION rather than execution. Majority of the hunters I spoke to (and also read) described shots such as quartering to, straight down, straight on in brisket, or aiming too close to shoulder. Sure, some of these can be lethal but majority of time it's not a recovered deer. The other big thing I learned this year is how NON lethal a one lung hit can be. Speak to very experienced hunters and they will tell you it's a 50/50 proposition in their opinion. 

So I mention that to hopefully speed up the learning curve to some of the less experienced archers and also a good way to hold myself accountable and remind myself to select high percentage shots. 

• Like 4