Domestic Cats may cause disease in muskrats and mink

mike rossi

Geeze, should we get rid of all cats like the people want to with the coyote?

Biologists indeed want to get rid of cats, but not coyotes. Notice I qualified this post with the sentence that this is a touchy subject. I do NOT recommend the trappers engage in the issue of house cats. However, it is of interest to trappers because it is impacting furbearer populations - I would keep it there. There are enough people fighting with the biologists on this issue, it is hard enough with mute swans, never mind house cats. People used to let dogs roam, that would be radical today, same will apply to cats at some point in the future. Wouldnt behoove the trappers to engage this one though.... Keep it in your fodder next time the population status of NY muskrats is discussed though....

• Like 1

I can't wait to see proposed legislation requiring cats to be leashed.  LOL!

Allowing cats to roam free should be banned though.  Feral Cats should be trapped and euthanized.  Maybe that would prevent some cat owners from setting them free when they no longer want them.

• Like 1

I can't wait to see proposed legislation requiring cats to be leashed.  LOL!

Allowing cats to roam free should be banned though.  Feral Cats should be trapped and euthanized.  Maybe that would prevent some cat owners from setting them free when they no longer want them.

There has been proposals to make it illegal to maintain feral cat colonies on public land. Apparently in some localities this is tolerated and organizations financed with donations do this unfettered. 

After sufficient outreach, legislation calling for a leash law on cats will not seem outrageous. Some areas already have leash laws for cats.