Salmon river. Help a newbie.

zeus1gdsm

I just read an article on salmon river in field n stream. Now I'm pumped. 1 month away.

I went end of season last year on a guided drift boat. Ended up being a terrible fishing day. Only saw 1 fish landed. I hooked up once.

None the less. I now have the waders and a tiny bit of experience. I have the bug. And the article restarted it.

I don't however have any "salmon" gear. And I'm looking to go with a guy from work who is also a one timer.

So I'm soliciting the collective for advice.

I have a 7foot one piece medium action bass rig ( and quite a few smaller bass/trout rigs). Tons of bass and trout gear and a low end fly rod (I'm.a terrible fly fisherman.) I don't think I'd have the space for attempting to fly fishing the river at peak. But I'm lethal accurate with a spinning rod and years of fishing for bass along ragged shorelines.

So help me out. Can I use my bass rod?

What test? What type of line ( I run braid)?

We used different colored egg sacs on the drift as well as a "pearl" bead.

We also used a float. Simply dropping or casting the line to current and watching it float down. Is this method acceptable at peak from shore?

I don't have anyone to teach me so I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and give me pointers on line/rigs, and cast methods. Maybe even a spot visit pm? We drifted for 5 hrs. The entire length of the northern section. But didn't go through Pulaski.

Thanks all

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk