10-ton manual log splitter quick fix

Not long ago I picked up the harbor frieght 10 ton log splitter. It's basicaly a 10-ton jack on a splitter frame. What the instructions don't make very clear is the difference in the handle operation. But it's easy to figgure out once you have pressure on. The other thing I noticed right away was a slight assembly - design flaw. There's a bracket welded to the end of the piston, springs are attached to it to draw back. The problem is the bracket slightly extends past the piston - this can place extreeme pressure on the welds, three welds. So off to the hardware store, or was it lowes, anyhow I picked up a 1&1/2 id nipple and a cap end. That fits snug enough, but keeps any logs away from the bracket and puts pressure on the piston where it belongs. Once the warrenty is up I might have this welded up better but in any case I put this to the test after work. Below is a pic of the work this thing did in about 3 hours.

That's with griling & beer time  :)

post-3-131455460515_thumb.jpg

post-3-13145546053_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yes you can do that to get the piston out a little quicker. But the cylinder/pump on the right is smaller & steps down the pressure for a sort of 'low gear' on tougher logs. That, and I forgot my tripod so I was working one handed.  :)