Flocking Decoys

Bleitten04

Hey has anyone ever tried flocking goose decoys before. I tried the other day and they came out looking pretty good. However the flocking powder easily came off when I rubbed it. I did not buy a kit offline I just used regular flocking powder for a local craftstore and then a glue they recommended for the powder. The glue however seemed very similar to paper glue lol. Anyone who has tried this before what kind of glue did you use?

Thanks for the help.

I was going to advise applying a clear coat over it......but I suppose that would be pointless if the main idea is to flock it. I have never even seen anyone try to do it themselves with powder...would a thin piece of felt or something hold better?The problem would be the lines you would get where the pieces come togather.

The felt wouldnt work most likely it would be to hard to make it look right on the goose's head. I'm probably gonna just end up buying the kit offline that comes with the actual adhesive that is suppose to be used. The stuff I bought said right on it "great for scrap books" so it probably just isn't powerfull enough.

• 5 weeks later...

i use the flocking from van dykes taxidermy and have for many years, they last well, the adhesive is colored to what ever color you want, I get black by the pint.

on new dekes, I washwell and then let dry, then you simply get your flocking ready, heating the deke with a propane torch and apply glue while hot, thick is fine, then I POUR the flocking over the deke which I hold in a large tub, recoat a few times and set aside to dry. a pound of flocking lasts years.

after I do a few dozen I start over, glue and another coat of flocking. Let dry overnight and give a good whack on your hand a few times and they are ready to go.

every other year or so I touch them up with another coat of glue and flocking.

WEAR A MASK. the damned stuff is deadly its so fine.