I decided on half of my next toy

So after kicking the can and going over calibers and grain weights and ballistics...I'm going with a 6.5x55 Swedish. It beat out the 257 Roberts because mostly ammo availability, the 250-3000 because we already have them, 260 Remington was very close but I didn't like teh rifles all that much.

In my search I came across a real oddity. 7.7 Arisaka full rifle made into a Mannlicher stock. Looks like a freakin Kentucky rifle and must weigh a ton!!!!

Now to find the gun to wrap around it. The CZ 550FS is what my eyes want but, I have to keep looking.

Hmmmm... The issue Arisakas were nearly full stocked anyway, as were most bolt action battle rifles of that era...

The 6.5 Swede is an excellent choice, as is the CZ 550 FS. I have a CZ 550 American in 9.3 x 62, and it is a sub MOA shooter. The 550 FS would be an excellent hunting rifle.. Good luck.

Good luck, Sully....I have a young friend who does some hobby gunsmithing. He has made up several older mausers with Mannlicher stocks, and they look cool and shoot well. He's done 8 x 57s, 7 x57s and 6.5 x55s.

Presently he's doing a 9.3 x 62 and talking about doing a 9.3 x 57 for a nice woods carbine for deer & black bear.

I'll ask him if he knows the location of a decent candidate for a full stocked Swede..

Edited by Pygmy