Mossberg International SA-20 Review

jimbo91

Hey all. So for Christmas I got a new 20ga autoloader shotgun. The box read Mossberg model 920. I did what I always do when I get a new gun, I hit the interweb looking for any and all information on the gun. I couldn't find anything. After further inspection of the gun, I decided it was a very well built gun, but stamped on the gun was not model 920, but rather SA-20. After searching that, and finding more reviews, a few complaints others have seem to be not such a big deal to me. One of the big complaints is you have to hit the bolt release button to load more shells into the gun. I am pretty new to autoloading shotguns, I was raised on a pump, but this just isn't a big deal to me. It takes one hit of the button to be able to load the rest of the ammo into the tube so to me its not a big deal. Another, easily solved complain there is out there is that it comes stock with the "duck" plug in it, restricting the gun to 3 bullets. This plug took me literally 3 minutes to remove, so again, not a big deal. And the third big complaint I have read is that the receiver is not drilled and tapped, but in my honest opinion, and it may be disagreeable, but shotguns aren't supposed to have scopes. Any extra machine work just costs extra money, thus making it a more expensive gun. All that being said, I decided to make my own review. A couple of days after I got the gun I took it out rabbit hunting with my young cousin. I used the modified choke, one of the five chokes included with the gun, all in a nice choke tube case with a very nice choke tube wrench. The gun is very light. Weighs about 6lbs and has very little recoil even for a 20ga. It is very accurate, and very dependable, it cycled rapid shots without a problem. The gun has only one sight on it, which would be my only complaint because when I bring the gun up naturally it is a little low, but luckily included is four or five shims to change the way the gun sits in your shoulder when you bring it up. I will play with those after awhile. I took a spill while walking through the woods (unseen wire fence) and the gun was uneffected, not that it would be but it did hit the ground and still functioned normally. The price tag on this gun, although it was a gift, was a little high IMO, I think 325 or 350 is fair, but it ran 400+ tax. When cleaning this gun I have to say it is built pretty well. Everything fits well and is easily assembled and disassembled. All in all I would say if you are looking for a good 20ga for your kid, wife, or even just to have some fun for yourself, I would deffinately reccomend this gun. I dont have much bad to say about it really, but here are the pros and cons...

PROS-

-Reliable, dependable gun

-Lightweight

-Very low recoil

-Very accurate

-Built well

CONS (*MY opinion*)-

-Although it is a mossberg, it is not american made

-Pricetag is a little high, but not much 25 or 50 dollars high

-There is only one sight, I just prefer two, but after a shot or two you will get it.

Id give it a four out of five star rating.