The Shot...

"The Shot".... 

Somewhere deep in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness I'm in a blizzard, a whiteout, about 14" of snow on the ground, already exhausted from still hunting all morning... the snow is literally flying sideways...

Breaking camp tomorrow..... "PRESSURE"

Visibility piss poor.... I've been camped in the backcountry 26 days now without a shot. I see the rack, and he see's me... Lock on, engage... "BOOM"...... I hit a tree directly in front of the deer which was about 5" in diameter... the tree "exploded" and fell, cut in half.

The buck took off and I couldn't see him... I stalked, saw him again only about 100' from where I shot... Again, we both made eye contact... He spooked, I fired... and missed. I checked the ground, no blood, no hair....

Now, I start tracking..... The snow never let up...... I tracked that beast almost 3 hours, and that deer (HUGE RACK) literally took me to hell and back.... without ever getting another glimpse of him.

Now pushing 3:00 PM he got the best of me... I had to quit my pursuit as I was completely exhausted, and I had one hell of a ways to get back to camp before nightfall. I had provisions to spend the night in the woods had I dropped him, but I'm glad I didn't have to. I was cooked, and the snow never stopped...

I didn't sleep for a week thinking about that deer. Another beauty that got the best of me......

Oh, how I love the Big Woods.....

Bluesman
thebluesman5748 is online now Report Post  
  • Like 5