looking to go coyote hunting

oblivitar

Waterfowl, crow, and small game is also open but Stewarts camping restrictions only applies for all the big game seasons. You need to obtian a permit to camp there and fires and extremely regulated. As far as "rangers finding us", that's entire up to you and whether or not you think it's worth the risk. Me personally, I'd camp out if I was hunting the Adirondacks but Stewart is only an hour from me. I rather sleep in the comfort of my own home and get up an hour earlier.

Here's a brochure regarding recreational use of Stewart State Forest.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/stewartbroch12.pdf

Hmm well are there any "campable" areas nearby?

Not sure how close you want to be but there's camping in Harriman State Park and Clarence Fahnestock. You're not allowed firearms in there but I guess if you have it locked in your trunk you might be ok. Best check with the park rangers though as I don't know the rules.

"Back-country camping is allowed on Forest Preserve lands in the Adirondack and Catskill Parks as well as State Forests (reforestation areas and multiple use areas). Generally, camping is prohibited on Unique Areas, Wildlife Management Areas, Historic and Nature Preserves, and Conservation Easements. Camping for more than three nights or in a group of ten or more requires a permit from a Forest Ranger. Camping is prohibited within 150 feet of water, roads or trail."

YES! It will only be me and my buddy so looks like we're good.

"Back-country camping is allowed on Forest Preserve lands in the Adirondack and Catskill Parks as well as State Forests (reforestation areas and multiple use areas). Generally, camping is prohibited on Unique Areas, Wildlife Management Areas, Historic and Nature Preserves, and Conservation Easements. Camping for more than three nights or in a group of ten or more requires a permit from a Forest Ranger. Camping is prohibited within 150 feet of water, roads or trail."

YES! It will only be me and my buddy so looks like we're good.

I wouldn't go by this, but would contact rangers at Stewart directly. Good luck.

Did some squirrel hunting in Sterling Forest this past Wednesday, saw Coyote sign (tracks, scat, & scrapes along an old road). I kicked one out of a swampy area. I go back on Friday during the day and use my new e caller. Nothing comes in, I move around that general area, still nothing. I go to a whole different area. Found fresh tracks, I setup. Everything all quiet. I start calling. The local water company starts cutting trees. So I have two chainsaws going. Gave up in disgust. Stopped by the Visitors Center and got my Predator permit for night hunting. Wasn't able to hunt that night but drove thru the area and saw a nice big red fox crossing the road. Mother Nature then decides to leave snow on Saturday and high winds today. Anyone planning on hunting coyotes in Sterling Forest PM me, we might be able to connect.