When a door shuts...

a new window of opportunity arises...I try and look at all my plantings that way...someone asked a while back is it worth the cost...My line of thinking always....maybe because I started out with an agenda not truly geared toward deer...but more land improvement...I have to have smooth land...my ankles just cant take rough uneven ground and I HATE rocks...the fall I took yesterday is a testament to that..lol...

Even when a planting "fails" it improved the ground ...the leveling liming...de-rocking...If I were to never plant another thing there...the wild vegetation would come back and thrive...or I've kept old logging trails open for future logging...avoiding skidder damage and possibly a better price on timber...less work for them....

I thought I had a few "failures" this spring summer...but they are trying to make a come back and the weeds that came up...acted as cover and I researched the Common vetch that has completely covered the ground in that plot area.....fixes 2-3 ton of nitrogen an acre and has a protein count of 18-28%..now I didn't get the screening I wanted ...but between the SB and that vetch...the corn should grow great with little cost to me in fertilizer next year..win win..win ...You can see all the vetch behind the cockle burr plant..which by the way is a southern weed that got pulled and tossed...little down fall from ordering seed..but out of all that seed I olny got 4 weed plants no complaints here...lol